Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey

NX650 from 1988.
Have a jet kit in the mail and planning on doing Dave's mod.
I wanted to take the carburetor apart and clean it up before hand, but having trouble getting two of the screws in the float chamber out - seem very soft and I don't want to ruin them.
I have PH and PZ screwdrivers, but not JIS. Any tips?

editted:
Also, if ditching the airbox, are there any vents that need to be plugged (I put a filter on the crankcase breather).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey

NX650 from 1988.
Have a jet kit in the mail and planning on doing Dave's mod.
I wanted to take the carburetor apart and clean it up before hand, but having trouble getting two of the screws in the float chamber out - seem very soft and I don't want to ruin them.
I have PH and PZ screwdrivers, but not JIS. Any tips?

editted:
Also, if ditching the airbox, are there any vents that need to be plugged (I put a filter on the crankcase breather).
Try putting an elastic band on the end of the screw driver. This will take up any play. Failing that can you not saw a line across and use a flat head screw driver. You could also start with a good soaking of Wd40 first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
+ 1 for Neil's advice.

Also try retightening the 2 screw that have come out ok, this will take the pressure off the stubborn ones.

I wouldn't worry about killing the stubborn screws to get them out, they are a common size and can be replaced easily.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I use a Leatherman Crunch to grip float bowl screws, but any good quality small mole wrench should do.
As for drilling holes in your carb and ditching the airbox, prepare for weeks of faffing about before settling into that slightly disappointing feeling that it'll never run right again....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to clean up the carb anyway.

Hope you're not right about ditching airbox... Seems like a lot of people have done it with success?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yes I see the posts now and then and then I see the OP keeps coming back talking about jet changes and improvements here and there.
The way I see it is this, when that bike left the factory it ran perfectly. If it's not running perfectly now then the way to restore performance is to fix what's broken or worn out, not to go round drilling holes in the carb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts