Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I brought I brought an’ Ordnance Survey Cycle Tours for Gloucestershire and Hereford & Worcester’ containing 24 one day routes. These are mostly all on road with few partial off road at the end. They are generally 30 to 40 miles long through country lanes.
The routes are shown on OS 50000 maps and text contains the route directions and descriptions of points of interest. the books are spiral bond so they will copy/scan easily.
The books I have, from charity shops, date from 1990’s for OS ones and Phillips for early 2000’s ones, all were written by Nick Cotton (I think). The 2002 copy list a total of 20 books covering England (15), Wales (2), Scotland (3). Google ‘cycle tour nick cotton’ throws up more info on his books.
They are generally £10 new or £3-4 EBay or £1 in the charity shops for older editions and reasonably common, usually located with the maps. I think the older editions are more on road as there were less (no?) traffic free cycle routes 20 years ago.
Delving deeper into the book I found that the cycle tours contained substantial portions of the routes I go softroading (bumbling) on locally (Gloucestershire). I found one for the Dales and used it for route planning when we went up in the car last year, would have been better on a TA than in a CMax, nearly got some dents in Dentdale!
The cycle routes although each is less than a 2 hour ride on a motorcycle they can often be linked together to provide longer routes.
On the internet there are quite a few cycle route sites some with longish routes e.g. Devon coast to coast 100 miles.
Have attached some maps of the onroad routes from three of the books.
Slide2.jpg Slide3.jpg
Slide1.jpg

1 - 1 of 1 Posts