1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
A sad day... War documentaries etc fascinate me and this guy must have been off his rocker!...

Quote from the artcle: It is said that his actions amused the Germans and some claimed they did not shoot him because they thought he was mad.

you'd have to be mad to march out onto the beaches armed with a kilt and some bagpipes, brave does not do it justice.

Anyone interested in the Great War, there is a new film out called Beneath Hill 60 about the guys who tunnelled under the trenches, excellent film.

Beneath Hill 60 (2010)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
346 Posts
That's sad news. I might try and find when they are unveiling this staue in France that's mention in the article and be there for that.

It only seems like yesterday that the last survivour from WW1 died and now it feels like there are only a few left from WW2.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
aye, not many of the old boys left now... I watched a documentary the other day about the Hood and the Bismark and the fact only 3 men survived the sinking of the Hood, a tragic loss. I didn't realise though that one of the 3 survivors (featured in the docu) Tedd Briggs was born in my home town of Redcar, i've just read it after having a search to see if the old fella was still shuffling about, sadly he is not.

Ted Briggs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Sad indeed,

My father is 86, still plays tennis twice a week, he flew ASW liberators.

Makes you think.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sad indeed,

My father is 86, still plays tennis twice a week, he flew ASW liberators.

Makes you think.
The infantry always said the RAF had it easy:D

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
He must have been mad, If I was faced with a man in a skirt making such a racket I would have been inclined to shoot him to shut him up.
It is sad though that the men who fought to make our lives what they are, are diminishing, before half the youths realise what sacrifice they made.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well it looks like they plan to unveil the statue on 6th June 2011 - the 67th aniversery of the event.

Here's a link to the French site organising this. You can also make a donation towards the costs here - the French we're complaining in Febrary that only 6 Brit's had contributed ... there are a lot more now but the site being in French doesn't help.

Anyway here's the link

comment contribuer ? - D-DAY PIPER BILL MILLIN

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sad news indeed, being ex services myself i had an interest to see the landing beaches, so myself and ex brother inlaws decided to do a trip, both currently serving at the time, anyway the day before our trip Saving Private Ryan was showing at the big screen cinema so we went to watch it, awesome film really hit home and put one of them little lumps in your throat at times aswell, anyway at the actual beaches 36 hours later with the film fresh in our minds it certainly put a different perspective on the whole trip, Brave people doing what they done, Damn sight braver than me thats for sure.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it looks like they plan to unveil the statue on 6th June 2011 - the 67th aniversery of the event.

Here's a link to the French site organising this. You can also make a donation towards the costs here - the French we're complaining in Febrary that only 6 Brit's had contributed ... there are a lot more now but the site being in French doesn't help.

Anyway here's the link

comment contribuer ? - D-DAY PIPER BILL MILLIN
The English translation of that is hilarious.

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
This is close to home.

My dad served in the 51st Highland Division, was a " devil in skirts ". There on D Day and throughout the whole campaign.
Never talked much about it, his friends told me all the stories.
The only time he touched on it was the noise of the guns at El Alemein.

He wrote a song about the battle on his way home on the troop ship - here's a couple of lines

The orders are out
The time it draws near
The eve of the battle has come
The troops on the start line, tonight they know fear
For their hearts beat as strong as a drum

Then out of the darkness
A spandua beats fast
The ranks o' the jocks are thinned down
A shout, a scream
A bayonet flash
Another nazis is down

So sleep on
You brave Scottish lords
In the heavens you'll sure reign supreme
May your children never suffer the noise
Of the victory at El Alemein

Nice words written from the heart don't you think ?

And of course Lord Lovat just lives along the road :D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is close to home.

My dad served in the 51st Highland Division, was a " devil in skirts ". There on D Day and throughout the whole campaign.
Never talked much about it, his friends told me all the stories.
The only time he touched on it was the noise of the guns at El Alemein.

He wrote a song about the battle on his way home on the troop ship - here's a couple of lines

The orders are out
The time it draws near
The eve of the battle has come
The troops on the start line, tonight they know fear
For their hearts beat as strong as a drum

Then out of the darkness
A spandua beats fast
The ranks o' the jocks are thinned down
A shout, a scream
A bayonet flash
Another nazis is down

So sleep on
You brave Scottish lords
In the heavens you'll sure reign supreme
May your children never suffer the noise
Of the victory at El Alemein

Nice words written from the heart don't you think ?

And of course Lord Lovat just lives along the road :D
Respect is due.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts