Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I anyone fancies taking a detour on the way to Lock Ken,
I'm heading up to Brampton, picking up the Newcastleton road & either dropping into Langholm or up to Hawick, across to StMarys Lock, Megget Res, maybe visiting Wanlockhead Beam Engine, getting supplies at New Cumnock & heading down the lovely 713 to the campsite.
Guarantee'd to be more interesting & scenic than the M6/A75 :)
Obviously, all welcome

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I anyone fancies taking a detour on the way to Lock Ken,
I'm heading up to Brampton, picking up the Newcastleton road & either dropping into Langholm or up to Hawick, across to StMarys Lock, Megget Res, maybe visiting Wanlockhead Beam Engine, getting supplies at New Cumnock & heading down the lovely 713 to the campsite.
Guarantee'd to be more interesting & scenic than the M6/A75 :)
Obviously, all welcome

Phil

Good call. Make sure to take the B6399 from Newcastleton to Hawick. It's a cracker. Also possible tea stops at The Glen Cafe at St Mary's Loch and The Mining Museum at Wanlochhead. I may even see you en route. Give me a wave as you blast past.

I'll do you an interesting route avoiding most main roads for the Newcastleton bit up if you wish. I'll even point you at one of our few legal trails (which you will pass and is a good short cut) if you feel brave.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that Boris.
I was looking at keeping to the smaller (re interesting roads) but not offroading (no crash bars!)
The museum/s are time dependant, I'd like to be at the campsite for 6 - and you know how bad the traffic can get up there!

It certainly is a wonderful part of the world ;-)

Phil

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Here you go
Newcastleton, Scottish Borders, UK to Galloway Activity Centre - Google Maps

The off road bit is between B and C. Instead of taking a sharp right and following the road you take a sharp left and go in past the radio mast. It's not too tricky and I did it in November with the GSA with no misshaps. The worst bit it the forest trail at the start as it's pretty rutted but get in a groove and stay there, take it easy, and you will be fine. Once you exit the Berrybush Forest head north to Tibble Shiels and it's well packed and you shouldn't have any problem. Have a look and see what you think.

C Is the Glen Cafe

Stop for a photo at D. Everyone does. :)

E is the mining museum and cafe.

See you at the camp site :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for that, looks a similar route to what I was planning :) although I'm having trouble seeing the off road bit, it all looks like paved road (709 to the Gordon Arms), I'll have a proper look later!

Phil

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Cheers for that, looks a similar route to what I was planning :) although I'm having trouble seeing the off road bit, it all looks like paved road (709 to the Gordon Arms), I'll have a proper look later!

Phil

The actual route I posted via the Gordon arms is all paved. It's when you get to point B the road takes a sharp right and at that point you go west then north.

Here is the same route but with the off road bit included
Newcastleton, Scottish Borders, UK to Galloway Activity Centre - Google Maps

Y
ou can see the north end of the road come down the hill from right to left in the distance between the radio mast and going above the farmhouse here The above is taken from the Cafe so spin round and you will see it.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I'm in

1 - 7 of 7 Posts