Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seams to be a lot of interest with Rideouts at the minute so it accured to me that some people may be interested in attending the start and european leg of the 2007 Dakar in January 2007.

Raidxtreme (well Indigo5 my business) has been working at running several summer rideouts to the european rounds of the FIA Baja Championship in 2007 these include events in Spain, France, Portugal, Turkey and Egypt. If enough people are interested i am happy to look into sorting a trip for a group of between 10 and 30 bikes to ride out to watch the Dakar start in Lisbon and the european leg held in Spain (extremadora) in the following days before returning via france to the UK.

Dakar dates are:

3rd -4th January 2007 : Administrative checks and scrutineering
5th January 2007 AM : Administrative checks and scrutineering
5th January 2007 PM : Briefing Assistance
5th January 2007 evening : Competitors Briefing
From 6th to 20th January 2007 : Crossing of Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Mauritania, Mali and Senegal
21st January 2007 : Finish – Prize giving – Evening party

logic is that the trip would leave the UK on the 1st Jan to allow people to see the last day of scrutineering, briefing, and the portugal/Spain stages on the 6th, before returning back to the uk on the 7th.

The rally heads in Morocco on the 7th however its quite a task to get all the paperwork sorted to take bikes over, plus normally the ferrys triple the prices in this week so there is no intention to go into Africa this time ( and I will be in africa the next week running the UK contingent of the Budapest-Bamako rally anyway :roll: )

All costs will be just the trip costs (we make no profit on the events) and were possible we will be bulk buying ferry tickets and hotels/campsites to keep the cost a low as possible.

Last bonus to this trip is that all its members will get some sort of access to the British competitors on the Dakar, I may be able to get a fe people to help (in the background) on the Spain sages with a few of the teams ( as we run PR for a few teams on the 2007 Dakar)...

if any one is interested please let me know asap as this needs to be sorted before the end of October.

·
Lost Lost Lost
558 Posts
Sounds good. Can you give a rough figure of cost per person for the trip.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
STOP doing this to me Jenna!!! Gets me in a jealous rage...just like last year.

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts

Damn again, I have to be back at work on 4th Jan - no way i can get out of it :twisted: (times like this i wish i was my own boss)

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry posted this two half a dozen forums and only 6 at best interested so its unlikely to go ahead as it stands.

Costs are a bit open as i cant get quotes without a fixed number, plus i need to know if people want hotels or are willing to camp, do you want to dover -boulogne or cut the run down and use cherborg eg:

Portsmouth to St Malo Mon 1 Jan 2007 20:30
St Malo to Portsmouth Mon 8 Jan 2007 10:45
£113

Poole to Cherbourg Thur 4 Jan 2007 08:30
Cherbourg to Poole Wed 10 Jan 2007 09:30
£108

1.1.2007 17:40 Dover / Boulogne SpeedOne 1.1.2007 19:30
8.1.2007 15:00 Boulogne / Dover SpeedOne 8.1.2007 14:50
£58

Temps in Spain in Jan vary and can be anywhere from 5 to 15'c would people want to be camping at 5'c although you do need to know that most local camp at this time of year and not in the summer months!
Hotels in lisbon on Dakar week are a no no big time (min £80 pp/pn) however out of town there are a few cheaper options, price depends on numbers.

Jen

·
Lost Lost Lost
558 Posts
Jenna

If you do not get enough interest to put the trip together would it be possible to recommend best times to travel, best routes to get there and where to stay. I would still like to go and maybe if there is more people interested we could arrange it between us.

I'm easy when it comes to accommodation and food. Where to camp and where to B&B just in case?

Thanks for the effort :wink:

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As yet the 'official' route has not been posted as has the 'offical' dates so its impossible to really nail down costs 100%. If you want to do the run then can give you a few clues.

'3rd and 4th January 2007 Administrative checks and scrutineering'...
its confirmed that all admin and scrutineering will take place at the Cultural Center in Belem to the west of Lisbon (google earth 38°41'44.06"N 9°12'30.32"W ) It can be a bit of a free for all but the fixed hours are likely to be 08.00-19.30 for admin and 08.00-15.00 for scrutineering. Once vehicles have passed the checks I'm guessing they will head for Rua Bartolomeu Dias (cars, bikes and quads) which is right infront of the Jeronimous Monastry or Praca do Imperio (trucks) to a sealed car park.

Finding hotels in the Belem area is impossible at the best of times and in Dakar week its a nightmare I would suggest that you either hotel well out of town or camp. Portugal has an offical National Camping Club which owns a lot of campsites all over the country, they are cheap and well maintained however there is a good private site just minutes from the center of Lisbon in a park and it is open all year round (more info: http://www.lisboacamping.com/ goggle earth 38'43.30N 009'12.27W) I can also suggest http://www.maisturimo.pt/ as a reasonable source of hotels within the area.

There will be an official start from the parc ferme but no details as yet on time.

STAGE 1: LISBOA > PORTIMÃO Total: 370 km
stages are likely to be based around Alentejo, last year it was 83kms of navigational tracks.

STAGE 2: PORTIMÃO > MÁLAGA Total: 567 km
first truly competitive stages based on mountain tracks to the east of Portimao, this is by far the best location to see the spectical of the rally on 115kms of stages before it heads through Andalusia on route to the ferry at Malaga.

the stage details wont be posted until late october so your going to need to guess a bit on the exact details.

As a rough guide as the crow flys the run out to Lisbon is just over 1000miles and the run back from Malaga a touch over at 1050miles (lisbon - malaga being 275 miles) on French/Portugease soil. Personally if you have never done the coast road between Malaga and Barcelona (plus a little further towards Tossa Del Mar (no sniggers please :roll: )) and then north through Andora into France then you havent lived so if you can add time in for this slower route home!

·
Lost Lost Lost
558 Posts
That's great info. Thanks Jenna.

Now........panniers :idea: .......not checked :?

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
i would love to go but the thought of mrs chad with a firm grip on my gonads and a carving knife in the other stops me dead :shock: it just aint gonna happen with all the other stuff i want to do next year :( :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Lost Lost Lost
558 Posts
Chad said:
i would love to go but the thought of mrs chad with a firm grip on my gonads and a carving knife in the other stops me dead :shock: it just aint gonna happen with all the other stuff i want to do next year :( :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you can only get rid of the knife....... :idea: :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
=that would be costly :shock:

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chad I used to make a lot of travel arrangements for drivers wives, one 'perk' of a driver is the wifie/current shag is flown into the events, put up in a hotel and left to go shopping while hubbie sets the world to rights on the track only appearing at the end to wipe hubbies feavered brow looking 'pritty' for the media.. :pukeleft:

Flights out to Lisbon are dirt cheap and a hotel away from the Dakar area at a reasonable price not to hard to find, plus a short break post christmas/new year for the hard working missus is going to score you big browine points and let you get a ride out to Lisbon to meet her!! ( obviously the Dakar is just a coinsidence!)..lol you wont be the first to do it and I doubt the last!

·
Lost Lost Lost
558 Posts
Jenna said:
Chad I used to make a lot of travel arrangements for drivers wives, one 'perk' of a driver is the wifie/current shag is flown into the events, put up in a hotel and left to go shopping while hubbie sets the world to rights on the track only appearing at the end to wipe hubbies feavered brow looking 'pritty' for the media.. :pukeleft:

Flights out to Lisbon are dirt cheap and a hotel away from the Dakar area at a reasonable price not to hard to find, plus a short break post christmas/new year for the hard working missus is going to score you big browine points and let you get a ride out to Lisbon to meet her!! ( obviously the Dakar is just a coinsidence!)..lol you wont be the first to do it and I doubt the last!

EEEEEEXCELLENT!!!!!!1 So how about it chad. I can send Cherie along if she needs company :idea: :wink:

·
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just been emailed the offical entry list and the UK entry is:

COLIN ASKEY KTM
PAUL BROOME HONDA -THEODORE OFF ROAD ASSAULT TEAM
DAVID DICKINSON KTM -DESERT ROSE
MICHAEL EXTANCE HONDA -HONDA EUROPE
STEPHEN MALONE KTM -PROSEAL EDMONSON
IAN MYERS KTM -MTS MOTORCYCLES

IAN ROCHELLE/ROBERT PUGH -BOWLER
PAUL ROUND/MARTIN COULSON -BOWLER

DARREN SKILTON/ JOSE GRIJALVA/HECTOR CAMACHO MERCEDES -WIDE OPEN AFRICA
JOHN WALKER/MARK HAWKINS/CHRIS HUNT MAN -BOWLER SPIRIT

·
Huh?
2,328 Posts
Jenna said:
just been emailed the offical entry list and the UK entry is:

COLIN ASKEY KTM
PAUL BROOME HONDA -THEODORE OFF ROAD ASSAULT TEAM
DAVID DICKINSON KTM -DESERT ROSE
MICHAEL EXTANCE HONDA -HONDA EUROPE
STEPHEN MALONE KTM -PROSEAL EDMONSON
IAN MYERS KTM -MTS MOTORCYCLES

IAN ROCHELLE/ROBERT PUGH -BOWLER
PAUL ROUND/MARTIN COULSON -BOWLER

DARREN SKILTON/ JOSE GRIJALVA/HECTOR CAMACHO MERCEDES -WIDE OPEN AFRICA
JOHN WALKER/MARK HAWKINS/CHRIS HUNT MAN -BOWLER SPIRIT

Really? What do you think the Sahara sun will do to his tan?

-Simon

·
Registered
262 Posts
I can't believe I'm going to miss out on this trip. I've had a 2 week road trip to spain already this year so I don't even dare to mention it to the girlfriend. If I go I'll she'll cut my bits off.

Can someone document this fantastic road trip for all of us that couldn't make it. Whilst I convince her to let me go in 2008 or find new girlfriend.

Cheers

Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts