Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dakar 2011 entries are just about to open in the next few days so I thought this would be a good time to post.

No major changes to rules in 2011, the progression to smaller engines, targeted checkpoints and so on is moving ahead....

the official pre-press blurb for anyone interested.

An extreme North Dakar

The Dakar discovered South America in 2009. It came across a land of splendour in which it flourished, where it found its bearings, and which continues to throw up surprises. Preparation of the route for 2011 has given us confirmation of these landscapes’ capacity to amaze, as well as the sporting potential of the terrains to be explored.

In Argentina, the race will visit five new provinces. The route will come close to the borders of Bolivia, taking the competitors to Jujuy, Salta and Tucuman: the most loyal of these gauchos of a different kind will have ridden their trusty steeds through 17 of the country’s 23 provinces in the space of three years.

In Chile as well the Dakar has opted to push back the boundaries. Near to Arica, at the very northern tip of the Atacama Desert, the competitors will almost be in Peru for the rest day!

This South American experience is not a merely sporting one, it is a means of exchange as well. Beyond the sporting aspect and an attraction for the world’s different regions, an important consideration for the Dakar has always been feelings and the human touch. The relationship that has developed between the event, the competitors and the two host nations, was immediately one of spontaneous friendship.

In the face of the catastrophe suffered by Chile in February, our shock was soon tempered by the humility and dignity shown by our Latin American friends. Willing and full of energy in spite of their suffering, the Chilean people are also counting on the Dakar to help “dry their tears”. We hope to be worthy of such trust.

Etienne Lavigne
Director of the Dakar

After two editions in South America, the Dakar continues its exploration in 2011 of a continent which has impressive potential for new discovery. Heading towards the north of Argentina and Chile, the route skims the frontiers of neighbouring countries and takes competitors through ever more varied country. It’s a cascade of colour.

A Land of contrasts
The immense size of Argentina will stimulate the imagination of all who love great tracts of open country. Leaving Buenos Aires, the northern route takes competitors into a land of contrasts where in a single day or within a hundred kilometres, the vegetation completely changes with the landscape. In the same way, driving skills required change between dry and wet. The ability to adapt will be rewarded and those with a taste for changes of scene will feel most at home. Over the first three days of the first Argentine section, the Dakar ventures in particular into the provinces of Jujuy and Salta and comes close to Bolivia. It’s here in these new areas mapped out around the mythical Route 40 that the Rally ventures.

The Extreme North
To enter Chile a new route, quite as extraordinary as previous ones will be taken: el Paso de Jama. The Atacama desert immediately captivated Dakar competitors. Its vast stretches serve to satisfy their thirst for dunes and sand. Copiapo and Iquique are becoming essential locations for the Rally After the 2011 edition we shall probably need to add to the list the port of Arica which the Dakar reaches in the extreme north of Chile, on the border with neighbouring Peru. At the heart of the Rally, the desert stages often prove determining. The difficulties in getting over mix with some tricky navigational choices. It’s here that the expert stands out.

And another type of desert
After the magnificent frontier crossing by the Paso San Francisco, we enter Argentinian territory, racing smoothly down the Andes Cordillera high plateaux. After photography sessions, sport takes over its rightful place again with an exuberant stage in the white Fiambala dunes. Changes of scene are the order of the day again with a tour of the canyons and riverbeds which cut deep into the desert and with which the competitors are unfamiliar, on the route they will take to San Juan.

Bikes: towards 450cc for all
The movement adopted in the 2010 edition will continue in the bike category. The perspective of a field made up of bikes with a maximum power limit of 450cc has convinced several constructors to increase their involvement in the rally-raid discipline.
• As already announced, as from 2011, the riders featured in A.S.O.’s Elite list will all be obliged to ride on vehicles whose power does not exceed 450cc.
• The number of engines authorised will be 3.
• All other riders are free to choose their type of bike.
• For the Dakar 2012, all riders taking part must ride a 450cc bike.

Cars: a better balance between diesel and petrol
In 2010, A.S.O. decided to increase the air intake on petrol (i.e. gasoline) engines to a diameter of 34 mm. The desired goal was clear: to strike the best balance possible between the two types of engine currently used in all-terrain rallying, petrol (i.e. gasoline) and diesel. For the Dakar 2011, all the drivers from all the teams (professionals or amateurs) will be able to take advantage of this measure. Furthermore, teams running petrol-powered vehicles will be able to fit 6-speed gearboxes, in contrast to professional teams running diesel-powered vehicles, who will still have to use 5-speed gearboxes.

Navigation: priority for the road-book
For several years, the Dakar rally’s teams have been making modifications to reduce the influence of GPS and place the emphasis on reading of the road-book. Pure navigation skill is the very essence of the rally-raid discipline. For 2011, the changes will concern the way point markers (WPM) that the competitors must find. Last year, the competitors were guided by their instruments when they reached a distance of 3 kilometres from the WPM. In 2011, the distance required to trigger the GPS will be reduced to 400 metres.

As per usual the high and mighty at ASO have made no effort to back the UK entries with us being deemed not worth of a UK pre rally press event (but Serbia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Slovenia, Romania, Hungary, Ukraine, Poland all do!!) along with the usual Holland ,Spain, Italy etc... is it any wonder why the UK entry is getting more and more frustrated with ASO!!

the 2011 route map is available on Raidxtreme here along with updates as I get them.

·
Do you have any cheese?
313 Posts
Would give my left testicle to enter the Dakar, but at a cost of about £70,000 all in for a privateer to get there, I don't think I will ever get the chance. :(

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
Would give my left testicle to enter the Dakar, but at a cost of about £70,000 all in for a privateer to get there, I don't think I will ever get the chance. :(
As you're a subscribed member you are allowed to advertise it in the for sale section.:thumbup:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well I gave away my Right testicle a few years back and all got was MSRA

whats all that about :confused::mrgreen:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Not to worry I would give your right testicle also to do the DAKAR.:D

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

both gets you £140 grand and no tears when you land on the tank :D:hitler::D

·
Do you have any cheese?
313 Posts
both gets you £140 grand and no tears when you land on the tank :D:hitler::D
Thats one benefit! And the missus would no longer be able to have me by them anymore!! :D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts