1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Frodo's Half brother
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
how sad.. maybe for the best.. it is a dangerous enough sport with out the threat of terrorism added to it... one thing to die competing a totally different being shot ...

·
Ninja Thread Hijacker
2,978 Posts
This is bad news indeed !!

How are we going to get through January now ? the Dakar was normally the only bright spot in an otherwise dreary month.

·
A man without Ale.
2,666 Posts
from the Dakar official site

A.S.O. cancels the 2008 edition of the Dakar rally

After different exchanges with the French government - in particular the Ministry for Foreign Affairs - , and based on their firm recommendations, the organisers of the Dakar have taken the decision to cancel the 2008 edition of the rally, scheduled from the 5th to the 20th of January between Lisbon and Senegal’s capital.
Based on the current international political tension and the murder of four French tourists last 28th of December linked to a branch of Al-Qaeda in Islamic Maghreb, but also and mainly the direct threats launched directly against the race by terrorist organisations, no other decision but the cancellation of the sporting event could be taken by A.S.O.
A.S.O.’s first responsibility is to guarantee the safety of all: that of the populations in the countries visited, of the amateur and professional competitors, of the technical assistance personnel, of the journalists, partners and rally collaborators. A.S.O. therefore reaffirms that the choice of security is not, has never been and will never be a subject of compromise at the heart of the Dakar rally.
A.S.O. condemns the terrorist menace that annihilates a year of hard work, engagement and passion for all the participants and the different actors of the world’s biggest off-road rally. Aware of the huge frustration, especially in Portugal, Morocco, Mauritania and Senegal, and beyond the general disappointment and the huge economical consequences in terms of direct and indirect repercussions for the countries visited, A.S.O. will continue to defend the major values of great sporting events and will carry on its engagement for a durable development through the Actions Dakar, started 5 years ago in sub-Saharan Africa with SOS Sahel International.
The Dakar is a symbol and nothing can destroy symbols. The cancellation of the 2008 edition does not endanger the future of the Dakar. To offer, for 2009 a new adventure to all the off-road rally passionate is a challenge that A.S.O. will take on in the months to come, faithful to its engagement and its passion for sports.

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
Sad, sad news :(

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
It really grips me to see us giving in to these scum, but it's a difficult event to police effectively, well without spending the equivalent of the national debt of a few African countries anyway. I've spent my entire adult life working against these folk and its a sad day for me to see one of my favourite sporting occaisions cancelled as a result of thier actions/threats, but its probably the best desicsion, however mad it makes me..........

Sad day.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
My thoughts also go out to Rainman and the others who have travelled out there to see it, the privateers that have put a lot financially into getting there, but specifically Rainman (one of our's) as he is supposed to be travelling through Mauritania on the route to Timbuktu with the Nick Sanders tour.

There are people on this that have saved up and some have given up jobs to be able to go on this.

But, at the end of the day financial hardship is nothing compared to the hightened risk of death.

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
thats a real shame!

i suppose thats the world we live in now - civilisation - my a*se!

i really feel gutted for the pople who have given up jobs or blown savings or even just trained really hard or helped prepare!

but then again

you can get another job or another race - you cannot get another life after a bullet or roadside bomb!

sooooooo

what we all gonna talk about now??

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
SH!T!!! I just got SKY so I could watch this and now it's cancelled. Bummer all round. Really feel for the competotors though. [email protected]@RDS!!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
This is terrible news.My sympathies to the father and family of those murdered by these scum and also to the families of the soldiers i hear were killed.And to all the teams that have got out there to race.
I have literally just finished packing my panniers for my trip down to watch some sections.I was due to leave Alicante tomorrow morning.I wanna SCREAM!
Similar thing happened in 2001 when the TT was cancelled,although i think there were a couple of months notice given on that one.
I will still leave tomorrow morning minus camping epuipment.....lost that edge now though.
Anyone else still going down?We could meet up for a beer......well!we will have all the time in the world

S

·
0 Posts
Just heard about this - what a bummer. While I can see the reasons for the cancellation I feel sorry for the competitors (particularly the privateers, many of whom have poured every last penny and waking minute into making their dream a reality) and teams who are down in Lisbon all fired up and ready to go, only to be turned back at the last minute.

Still, as others have said, it's not worth risking people's lives even if giving in to terrorists does burn somewhat.

So much for watching Eurosport on those cold, dark winter evenings :(

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Linky here on Advrider :

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290068&page=16

This will give some up to the minute details on the response from competitors - check out some of the posts by PackMule who organizes rallyradio - some interesting interviews/phonecalls.

I'm gutted that this has happened :mad: - and fear it will have massive repercussions for the future of the event.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Armchair fans won`t be missing much.

Just put any DVD on from the last three or four years and you`ll see exactly what you would have done this year.....

Endless procession of KTM`s

Schlesser whinging about anyone who is in front of him

Delayed TV screening due to boxing/snooker/volleyball

Etc etc etc

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,037 Posts
I was just looking on the official site last night at the t-shirts as well. I reckon they could be collectors items in a few years, the 'Dakar that never was' official merchandice. Like an Edward VIII pound note or stamp.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
:(:(:(:(:(:(bugger ,,bollox,, poo,,:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,037 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts