Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Rick, nice of you to pay for my ferry:toothy8: ,will we be having t shirts done? Keep yer fingers crossed, the twins in for its mot in the morning!

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Is there an interesting run across though, from either Hook or Dunkirk? The alternative is the mad 3-4hr Motorway blast, but that is no fun at all and I would like to have a bit of scenery and some nice roads either there or back, even if it takes longer. ;)
By motorway you have two choices the northern Industrial area around Duisberg, boring and pretty busy. If you take the southern route in vis Brussels its a bit shorter and you'll be going through the areas of WW1 oh and the Stella brewery:rolleyes: you would enter Germany heading for Cologne and passing through the Eifel volcanic region of Germany on its own its stunning.

As I've never ridden abroad, only driven in the car, do I need the same sort of stuff to comply with Dutch and German road laws?

Hi-viz, spare bulbs, warning triangle, first aid kit? No legal requirement

My number plate does not have a GB on it - do I need to get one made? You dont need a new plate just get a GB sticker on the boat, I've never heard of any one getting stopped for not having one though, but better safe than sorry

Thanks folks

John
I've been busy with AccyImp and sorted out our ferry.

We've booked Hull to Rotterdam on Friday 24th, meeting up with everyone, then having the remainder touring, returning on the Saturday 1st Ferry.

A couple of mates would like to tag along if that's ok. Look forward to meeting them, the more the merrier, we may break down into a couple of smaller groups if need arise

We would arrive in the area late Saturday afternoon.
Would the stay be 2 or 3 nights. Does the site have bunkhouses, we are not sure yet about camping. I've only booked for camping, if you do need a hotel I can help find one

RoP :cool:

T-Shirts not sure at the mo, my wife has an embroidery shop so if I'm sure we could do something if wanted, we also have a plotter so I'll be knocking up some stickers for the event.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I take it the stop over is just Sat and Sun nights, then we are all on our separate ways.
I found a couple of Hotels in Huckeswagen, if you can recommend some more I would appreciate it.
The choice of accommodation has to cater for accyimp who is very careful with his money. :grin:

RoP:cool:

·
Rule thy Mind
345 Posts
Really fancy this one, just need to see how the land lies business wise.

As for the hi Viz, bulbs, and warning triangle, it is illegal both in Holland and Germany not to carry them--- Basically should you break down you must display a warning triangle and don a high viz, also if you see a speed limit on the auto Bahn ------stick to it otherwise you will be forking out for more than just the ferry and hotel costs :(

·
Registered
527 Posts
Anybody else arriving at the Hook of Holland/Europort on the Friday morning? Could team up and head on to Bever lake together

I have a mate in Weisbaden and may extend by a day to go down and see him on the Monday but he hasn't got back to me yet so still planning to return on the Monday at the moment

John

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Not in Holland. Warning triangles have an explicit exception for bikes (due to being impractical to carry) and no hi-viz needed either as far as I know. Never heard a word about it and I've never carried any of them either.

No idea about Germany.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Anybody else arriving at the Hook of Holland/Europort on the Friday morning? Could team up and head on to Bever lake together

I have a mate in Weisbaden and may extend by a day to go down and see him on the Monday but he hasn't got back to me yet so still planning to return on the Monday at the moment

John
Probably, but too soon for me to make any solid plans until May! :(

Just one of the downsides of "life on't farm"!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Probably, but too soon for me to make any solid plans until May! :(
No worries Steve. I've booked and paid for my ferry so I'm going. If you're on the same ferry or at the same port would be great to hook up with you. Maybe P&O would give you a discount as I've already paid for a 2 berth cabin
:D

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
No worries Steve. I've booked and paid for my ferry so I'm going. If you're on the same ferry or at the same port would be great to hook up with you. Maybe P&O would give you a discount as I've already paid for a 2 berth cabin
:D
Deffo we can liase on this a bit nearer the time John. :thumbright:

Harwich-Hook makes sense as the arrival port for me and makes a pleasant change from the M'way journey to Dover from here in Shropshire... However, 'ull is a long way from here :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I take it the stop over is just Sat and Sun nights, then we are all on our separate ways.
I found a couple of Hotels in Huckeswagen, if you can recommend some more I would appreciate it.
The choice of accommodation has to cater for accyimp who is very careful with his money. :grin:

Cheeky ;)
will you be taking your white fiver? :blob7: I'll try to remember my cheque book tomorrow!

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Overnighting Friday and Sunday nights in the campsite at Bever, (Huckeswagen) The Saturday staying at the Eder dam campsite.

Really fancy this one, just need to see how the land lies business wise.

As for the hi Viz, bulbs, and warning triangle, it is illegal both in Holland and Germany not to carry them--- Basically should you break down you must display a warning triangle and don a high viz, also if you see a speed limit on the auto Bahn ------stick to it otherwise you will be forking out for more than just the ferry and hotel costs :(
No legal need to carry HiViz, bulbs or warning triangle , as for speeding ...Germany has one of the biggest speed problems in europe, basically the fines are pathetic the traps inadequate and the static cameras flash from the front. If your caught by a laser gun you will pay an on the spot fine, which is usually higher for tourists as you cant get points or a ban. enough to annoy you for a month or two, there are too many speed freaks that come over and race about. When I'm leading no one will be asked to speed but it wont be boring:rolleyes:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
No legal need to carry HiViz, bulbs or warning triangle , as for speeding ...Germany has one of the biggest speed problems in europe, basically the fines are pathetic the traps inadequate and the static cameras flash from the front. If your caught by a laser gun you will pay an on the spot fine, which is usually higher for tourists as you cant get points or a ban. enough to annoy you for a month or two, there are too many speed freaks that come over and race about. When I'm leading no one will be asked to speed but it wont be boring:rolleyes:
Sounds more civilised than France these days :)

I had better fit some pukka road tyres to keep up with the "no one will be asked to speed but it wont be boring"!! :thumbright:

·
Administrator
7,169 Posts
I'm tentatively IN, but it would all hinge on how much work I've had, finances, and if my navigator (as opposed to my rear gunner, who is Sean of course!!) has made any alternative plans. Will do some checking a bit later.

B for Bobsie

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm tentatively IN
Be good to see you again Bob. I was the newbie at the National in September you kindly took under your wing and got merrily rat arsed on the Saturday night, so much so that I couldn't find the field in the fog, let alone my tent !!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Still not sure about camping/bunkhouse, so I've tried the Hotel zur Post in Huckeswagen and its fully booked that weekend.
Any recommendations.

21 - 40 of 110 Posts