Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dambusters tour - open invite - spring bank holiday

I'm hosting a Dambusters tour next Spring Bank Holiday....
The basic shake down is meet up at the Bever camping site near Hückeswagen on the outskirts of Germany's main industry area and from there visit the Dams that were targeted during Op Chastise 68 years ago.
Maps link

Op Chastise targets

Ennepe
Sorpe
Eder
Mohne
the Bever was hit but not on the target list,

Friday and Sunday night here..... slight change of plan, new site.
I went at the beginning of the year but everything was closed so could not get answers to my questions
Camping site Bever
€7 per person per night. the toilet and shower block is a bit tatty but it is clean, there are many other toilet/shower blocks on the site that we have full use of. There is a restaurant on site and another just off the site to cater for the sailing fraternity. Any one wanting to have beers at the tent the local town is only a few minutes drive away.

For the Saturday night, this campsite
They hold a HOG meet every year, are very bike friendly, restaurant and bar on site. With enough people they will open the grill hut and bar, its a five star campsite with all amenities. I've stayed there and can vouch for the cleanliness and area
Camping & Ferienpark Teichmann, Edersee, Waldeck - Herzhausen
www.camping-teichmann.de/index/club_view...mp;module=club_intro
€5,90 per person
€2,60 per bike
€4,40 per tent

I'm sure a group booking will get a discount just got to get a group together.
There are over 30 dams in the county and nearly 80 in the area spreading east to the Eder
These are bike friendly roads with tons of bikers cafes dotted along the shores of many of them, the rough route from the first camp site to the Eder campsite cuts through the North Germany skiing resort, not the alps but very hilly and lots of great roads.
We could make a mini photo rally, the one who snaps the most dams during daylight hours wins a prize.
So any takers and I'll sort the plans out better. Obviously if anyone has all ready been to the area post some pictures here and let everyone know your feeling towards the Beer, Landscape, roads, hospitality, beer..... you get my drift

Edit, list of those coming or showing a strong interest, pass the word round, with meets it's always the more the merrier

PanRider
Clutchspring +1
Sprinty
Nev +1
GOG 007
IRideForLife

from ABR
JimBike
Alun
Moto Al
James961
Smudge +1 *maybe at short notice
Alphadog43 *TBC
Marco 46
Doctor Zippy
Mark Young

Käfernberg nach Bevertalsperre - Google Maps

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Might be up for that. No visors allowed, only goggles:D

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
We were there this year and the roads were brilliant. There are two campsites in Affoldern and we only found one pub. We stayed in the one without the pub by the river(A) and drank in the one with the pub (B). It was a great move as the campsite with the pub was a tad grotty when we walked round it but the one we stayed in was beautiful. Cash only mind so make sure you bring plenty.

Watch out for the kummel in the Jack Daniels bottle though

Am Mühlengraben to Hemfurther Str. - Google Maps

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not gone into great detail but I've stayed at a campsite the other end of the Eder,
They host the HOG rally every year with 500 hardly bikers and have their own pub, resturant, grill hut, failing that I was looking at the Scheid penninsular as a second. I'll recce them before hand for amenieties :D
As for around the Bever no idea but I fancy a trip out might even take the support truck and the dog

·
Rule thy Mind
345 Posts
Can i bring my Friends from the Dambusters MCC ? -----I was at their rally last weekend :hitler:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Just googled it and its 17hrs from mine !!!! but sounds good ....i'll start saving:thumbright:
Phil

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Talk about bad timing for a makeover???? The discrimination has started already......
Madam is decidedly not ginger. In fact, when I saw the new hair colour I suspected a conversion to West Ham or a major spillage of a rather tannin-heavy Bordeaux:confused:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Madam is decidedly not ginger. In fact, when I saw the new hair colour I suspected a conversion to West Ham or a major spillage of a rather tannin-heavy Bordeaux:confused:
No matter how deep I dig, there isn't a compliment in there :(........step one - just wait till you see step two.....:p

Technically this must be off topic by now......although moderator led :toothy10:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
No matter how deep I dig, there isn't a compliment in there :(........step one - just wait till you see step two.....:p

Technically this must be off topic by now......although moderator led :toothy10:
OK how about:
Mademoiselle is decidedly not ginger. :D

That's much nicer.

Like treading on a blackberry, your hair has gone from black to Ribena coloured (have I just ruined the compliment?:rolleyes:)

TGLW is auburn (that's posh ginger, that is).

·
almost human !!!
757 Posts
This sounds like fun. For me, this year has been a joke where ride-outs are concerned. Need to get a grip of the situation. :thumbright:

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Friday the 27th May till Spring Bank Holiday Monday

A nice warm up before the TLD and two days touring the Dams

List of dams in the county NRW

and more in Hessen including the Eder
Op CHASTISE took place on May 16/17 - 1943 if this trip goes well it will form a base for 2013 as a 70th anniversary remembrance.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Been thinking more about this and with the amount of dams in the area how about a competition, the one who photographs the most dams in daylight wins a prize.
Any one want to donate something comp ending Sunday night with food and drink

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Proper up for this Snap ....whats the crack with digs Tent or BB and can you give us an idea of prices:thumbright: as for Photos,i need some sort of BOURGE fitting in one eye :eek: can't remember the camera round here
Phil

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.