Honda XRV Forum banner

Damned allergies.

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  African Simba 
#1 · (Edited)
Anybody got advice / experiences re dealing with allergies ? any miracle fixes ?

Here's my tale of woe;

After a 220 mile / 14 hour trailride from Chirk (north wales) a fortnight since i woke up next day covered in an itchy rash which i blamed on washing powder on the bed sheets.

After this sunday's trailride from Mold (north wales) i woke up at 3am struggling to breathe with swollen nose, lips and throat, soon followed by red spots all over my body which merged to make big red swollen blotches.!!!!

The Doctor said its a severe allergic reaction.(like i didnt guess)

I never had hay fever or anything before, but he reckons after being hit with it the week before, the immune system reacts more to another big hit of whatever pollen kicked it off.

I think bashing through the overgrown lanes is the source.

Three weeks ago i spent the weekend trailriding round Dolgellou / Barmouth area, i was ok then but that was all open going on the top's.

He said to keep away from the suspected cause/areas for a few weeks or the next hit will be even worse.!!!!

No Trail's for a few week's .
. . . I'm already in withdrawal.

Had a 2 day trailriding meet in north wales planned this weekend. . . . so that's off. :( :(

Maybe the peaks will be ok, on open trail's. ( might get an allergy to rambler's though, there'll be millions of em'. )

All suggestion's, old wives tale's etc greatfully received. :thumbright:

See less See more
#2 ·
My sympathy man, pollen allergy or any type come to that is a bag of S*** had it all my life! got to ride with the helmet vents shut and visor down always.
Don't know what you're using to fight it but the nasal steroid spray I get on prescription is a big help to me ----- thing is it gives you SERIOUS DOG BREATH!! just don't breath on her it could be a divorce job!!!

#4 ·
+1 for anti histamines

I get bitten to death with mozzies, they swell up to the point that I look like the elephant man, anti histamines are the answer, apparently there 99p a packet at Morrisons, coming back in a couple of weeks for 50 quids worth:p

#6 ·
HONEY,lots of different honey's from local sources to the cause and taken all year round. I used to have absolutely diabolical hayfever and the odd rash on my neck and arms and took dozens of different pills and even had an inhaler at one point. I started eating local honey's about 10 years ago and after a couple of years my hayfever has dissappeared. It is working with one of my sons as well.
Not an overnight remedy but a long term one I'm afraid.

#8 ·
Antihistamine. Anything with Loratadine will do the job and not send you to sleep. Don't be tempted to take more than one per day. It won't do you any harm, but the effect is no greater but it will make you drowsy. You may be pleasantly surprised at how effective it can be. :thumbup:

#11 ·
Len

I've suffered with Hayfever my entire life, and personally I find the side effects of any drugs I take are often worse than the hayfever, although I've only broken out in blotches a couple of times (from Hayfever before Whealie starts!!!)

If you can, avoid anything severe, and as BT says take some local honey (in your tea or just spoon it down) as this helps. What I would recommend using is Vaseline (shut up Whealie) and rub it around your nose and sides of your eyes, as this has a habit of catching the pollen I find.

You need to find out if your skin reaction is caused by contact or breathing the stuff in if you can. Maybe consider one of those filter masks that the cyclists use in London when you go on your next ride?

Hayfever can be a real pain to live with, so pray its not just starting with you (like it recently has with some of my family). When it's bad, stop at a wash basin/stream and just splash your face.

Can't help much more than that, good luck

Bob :thumbup:

#12 ·
Not good, dont underestimate it either,
some good suggestions all ready and I cant add to them, with the honey, its the only food stuff with antiseptic properties and no sell by date, If you can find a local bee keeper ask them for the propolis, many keepers cant be bothered to market it.
You'll have to google it and make your own mind up or ask a good herbalist,
Bit of a trip out but I know a great herbalist in Ulverston you could give her a ring but a paid consultancy is better.
What type of goggles are you using and get a mask, the rest is to find out if your skin is having a contact reaction and possibly change your riding clothes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.