Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howza fellas!.

speaking to you guys as the kings of damp, what do you do to reduce damp in your sheds/garages.
Some background;

I keep my bikes in a garage which is just under street level, but has a big window and reasonably good air circulation. However after seeing some horror stories of corrosion with practically new bikes of some mates of mine I started to investigate the problem of humidity or damp seriously...

do you guys use anything like dehumidifiers, or extraction fans at all...what do you generally do to cut out damp in your buildings. Please note however that practically all building in malta is carried out using limestone, which acts just like a sponge and retains moisture like anything.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I think dehumidifiers are a bit silly in a garage, if you haven't got it completly sealed all it will do is suck up the atmosphere. I tend to get condensation in my tool boxes a couple of weeks a year during the cold season, don't think there is much you can do really other than keep it at a constant temperature all year round which i nigh on impossible i would think

·
Registered
407 Posts
Dehumidifier Nov>March each year

Remove about 3 gallons per week, from a large double garage - with roller shutter doors, so well sealed

Done it for 20 years and keeps bikes/tools in perfect condition

Amazed at how much water, I remove

Cheap insurance

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Get a Vac Bag if you are not using the bike - good reports on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
I'd love a garage!!!
My bikes have always been under covers outside:mad:

But... With my liberal application of ACF, it always seems to be okay.

Obviously there might be better ways, but I'm happy with the way rust is fended off.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
something I've noticed in my shed is if i have the heater on for a short time everything metal gets soaking wet so i tend to leave it on long enough for everything to get to room temperature and only turn it off when i'm happy all the condensation has gone leaving the heater off never seems to affect anything one thing i would avoid is those gas heaters that have the bottle inside them they seem to produce moisture when lit

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I solved the problem by putting my bike next to the radiator in my living room.:clown::clown::clown:
Works for me but the missus objected so she had to go.
The missus not the bike.:wav:

·
Registered
154 Posts
My father when he were alive had bird sheds with like 2 inch tube heaters that kept damp and frost at bay. Wonder can you still get them think they were easy on leccy to.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
guys, it seems all you guys are concentrating on increasing the temperature in your sheds. this makes sense because warm air can hold much more moisture without it condensating. since the problems start when there is condensation it makes sense to warm up the environment.

the only thing is that the heater cannot be anything with a flame, because any flame produces water....radiators, electric bar heaters, airconditioners etc are all ok
R.

·
Registered
338 Posts
When I built my wooden workshop, I poured concrete pads & sat it on small brick pillars because of the garden's sloping ground
Having a wooden floor I find the underfloor void (think prisoner of war hut) allows good airflow, which keeps moisture at bay.
I leave the bike in there over the winter with no heating on & there's no corrosion issues. I just have to make sure I have anti freeze in it :)
The times I've been working in the dead of winter with the heater on, there's never been any sign of condensation on any metal surfaces.
Concrete floors are notorious for causing condensation, so if possible, stick with a wooden floor with a decent void for airflow :thumbup:

·
Registered
459 Posts
This summer I coated my garage in aquaseal as I was sick of damp coming through the brick when it rained. So far the inner walls are bone dry. Also every time we get a new carpet in the house, the garage gets the old one also handy to keep the cold off your feet when working in there............works for me:D

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
This summer I coated my garage in aquaseal as I was sick of damp coming through the brick when it rained. So far the inner walls are bone dry. Also every time we get a new carpet in the house, the garage gets the old one also handy to keep the cold off your feet when working in there............works for me:D
Really like that idea with the carpet! Posh garage, or what!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

Years ago I owned a very nice cobra replica and had a damp/wet garage. I made a wise decision and purchased a carcoon basically a big plastic bubble with mat, you drive car onto and zip closed and 2 small computer fans inflate with the flow of air passing out throu the zip and vents. Great for a vehicle used for shows and sunny weather but being stored sometimes for weeks on end, It would come out as clean and dry as you put it in. However as it is not practical for regular use years later I used the same principal in my now garage, sealing up as best as possible and fitting 2 larger computer fans into a hole made into the wall and having them run constantly. result is perfect, The garage holds a merc clk. Suzuki 1800 Intruder(Lots of jap chrome) and my transalp. added bonus if you put the car in wet, less than 10 hours later with fans on it is dry with no steam /condensation produced sitting on the other vehicles or windows. With fans not running the car will stay wet for days. The fans are low wattage and I calculated it costs about £35.00/year to run. a small price for keeping the corrosion at bay.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ive got my garage carpeted not fully fitted u understand nor the latest patern ;) no seriously carpet has stoped 80% of the damp in mine. If bare concrete paint it first thou it wont dry this time of year and plonk any old stuff you can down this will help no end. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Really like that idea with the carpet! Posh garage, or what!
Lulu, of course the discerning user will also carpet the walls*. It helps prevent dust & scratches when parking the bikes close to the wall.

Phil

* I must get round to carpeting this garage!

sent from my 'phone

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Just circulating the air with a fan and good ventilation will keep the damp at bay.

·
Registered
407 Posts
3 gallons of water remove this week with a dehumidifier

My double garage is sealed (apart from 2 air bricks ) as it has roller shutter doors with rubber seals on bottom

Also the bikes sit on 2 large old Persian rugs

Everything is bone dry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts