Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember these signs that Farmers USED to put up when they gave a sh1t about anyone else???

I am sure some clever dick is going to come up with some legal Bullsh1t as to why they don't put them up anymore.

To me it's just bloody ignorant, if we ever drag mud on to a road outside a building site the council are round in a shot!!!

What is the difference???

Rant only just started:tool::protest::angry5::angry4:

·
Grumpy auld man!
1,646 Posts
Calm down dear, calm down, it's only a bit of muck! :wink: Seriously though, I know where you are coming from Rob as the country run I do every day with the bus is a series of patches of mud with tractors leaving fields and trailing the stuff all over the place with no attempt to clean up, or warn anyone it's there. :(

Andy.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Am calming down Andy :thumbup:

It just is so selfish and lazy!

Obviously don't get a subsidy for making a home made sign:confused:

·
xrv750x Pilot
585 Posts
Maybe if they put out a sign" Mud on road" in the event of Damage or Crash .Due to leaving the road in an unsafe condition would result in a claim against them,So they do not bother and say it must have been someone else as loads of farmers undertake work for them either paid or they do similar work for other farmers .Francis

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
You are in an area of farmland, you are expected to be inteligent enough to realise the hazard is there and be prepared.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts

·
Chief Lurker
436 Posts
You are in an area of farmland, you are expected to be inteligent enough to realise the hazard is there and be prepared.
Condescending comment!!
Farmers are legally obliged to clear up the mess they make on public roads - but as they are a bunch of ignorant gits (most of them!), they cannot be bothered and the police and local councils do not chase them up. I am sure we are all well aware of the possibility of their filth on the roads in this weather - but it is still a real pain!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Down here the farmers or contractors are madly harvesting the maize crop and all roads bear witness to this. You certainly don't need signs to tell you about the mud on the road. At the moment it's dry but when we get some more rain it'll be like a skating rink out there.
Personally I'm prepared to accept the extra risk as part of riding in this part of the country. (Until I throw the bike up the roadd on a mud slick) I reckon farmers are operating on tight margins at the moment and coould do without the additional cost of sweeping/scraping the road after every excursion into a field.

One plus point is that after a couple of commutes the bike is well splattered and makes me look like a hardcore off-roader:D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
:jerk:
Suggest you stay in the towns then ........:jerk:

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Calm down dear, calm down, it's only a bit of muck! :wink: Seriously though, I know where you are coming from Rob as the country run I do every day with the bus is a series of patches of mud with tractors leaving fields and trailing the stuff all over the place with no attempt to clean up, or warn anyone it's there. :(

Andy.
Andy I did not now you are a Bus driver your ancient.

just started running:toothy3:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Suggest you stay in the towns then ........:jerk:
I know farmers are meant to clean up the muck, but even for the ones who do, they can't do it instantly can they. Stumpy made a good observation and a fair comment about responsibility for one's actions. If you're going so fast that you can't stop in the distance you can see to be clear ahead and a load of mud on the road dumps you in a ditch, who is to blame?

Yes, mud on the road is dangerous and annoying but if you are not riding with that hazard in mind in the countryside then you really should stick to the towns.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Simple, mud on the road is unavoidable but signs should be used, unfortunately they rarely are. Dunno why :confused:

In rural areas be vigilant, keep an eye out for recent or ongoing field work & ride with caution.
As Alan say's, we should all be able to stop within the distance that we can see (but rarely do).

I like the story when you lit that bonfife & courteously warned all the neighbours beforehand of your intentions.
Sound familiar :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
Stone Crazy
5,306 Posts
A guy i know (Ex Farmer actually) recently jacknifed his brand new scania and trailer on some mud just outside the village where he lived, he spoke to the police anmd said the road was a mess and they should be doing something about it and it was the farmers fault etc , to which they replied you ,know the area /road you should be driving to suit the conditions, It would have been interesting to see the outcome if (god forbid) he had hit a car coming the other way and killed or seriously injured the occupants, I am sure the accident investigator would have something to say about the mud

·
Registered
114 Posts
Maybe if they put out a sign" Mud on road" in the event of Damage or Crash .Due to leaving the road in an unsafe condition would result in a claim against them,So they do not bother and say it must have been someone else as loads of farmers undertake work for them either paid or they do similar work for other farmers .Francis
As far as I know it is an offence to cause danger, or damage the Queens highways, the trouble with a retrospective law suite would the burden of proof as to who actually dropped the mud in the first place.
Following an accident the nearest field owner (farmer) could easily say that it wasn't them, as anyone could have used the entrance as a turn around point etc.
On a personal note the amount of times that I've been pelted by flying muck from the dirty bastards wheels is beyond a joke, and as said elsewhere Police aren't interested; it strikes me that they are only interested in easy prosecutions.
Thinking out loud I wonder if VOSA might take an interest?

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
Mmmm, just seen this

Is it not a case that the farmer's sign is illegal, ie a) does not conform to Highways spec and b) would require planning permission, you know, like vendors advertising their cafe etc. I know up here, they get round that by mounting the advert on a trailer, hence it is a mobile sign and not permanent.
I guess location would also come into it, visibility splays etc.

I used to work for the roads dept many years ago and this issue was always coming up.
Used to be known as the "sh1tter season" :teeth:

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know farmers are meant to clean up the muck, but even for the ones who do, they can't do it instantly can they. Stumpy made a good observation and a fair comment about responsibility for one's actions. If you're going so fast that you can't stop in the distance you can see to be clear ahead and a load of mud on the road dumps you in a ditch, who is to blame?

Yes, mud on the road is dangerous and annoying but if you are not riding with that hazard in mind in the countryside then you really should stick to the towns.
I fail to understand why you are backing up Stumpyfingers condecending and inflamitory comment unless you are looking for an argument:rolleyes:

Take the trouble and re read my first post it was not the fact that there was mud on the road it was the fact that over the years farmers are failing to warn anyone of the fact that they have caused a potential hazard, not only to bikes but all road users.

Also I pointed out the difference between farmers and construction sites.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts