1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Austin's Son
190 Posts
Did similar, had my girlfriend on the back, cattle grid with a slight bit of lean... results in a 2 wheel slide, I shat myself and my girlfriend seemed rather worried. Cautious with cattle grids from now

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Round here there's a cattle grid that's situated just past a corner hidden by some long grass and stuff, a few meters past the point where on a spirited ride you hit 5000 rpm exiting the corner on the dommie...

Yes, that got Quite Interesting Indeed one fine damp day. :shock:

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
The year is 1952. Petrol rationing had finished two years before. My mother's father liked the cut of her fiance's jib so allowed the youngsters to take his new and rare car for a spin.

They headed out to rural Sussex on empty roads and it began to rain. The lovers made swift, carefree progress, warm in their love and hand-knitted jumpers. The young blade drove with spirit, thrilling his sweetheart, and came to a cattle-grid on a corner. Wings, running boards, rear wheel, the lot. Remarkably, my grandfather didn't prevent the subsequent marriage!

Hit them straight and leave off the throttle. What might be a wobble for you almost led to me and my sisters never existing! :thumbright:

·
2,701 Posts
Cross cattlegrid's with bike upright and on neutral throttle. :thumb: . . . . . . . unless you need some exciement. :rolleyes: :D :D

PS.
As PD says cross them straight/square on.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
yeah them cattle grids are like zebra crossing's over them dales they're everywhere

i didn.t witness craigs hokey-kokey mind just lost him in the mirrors for a minute :eek: but it proper rattled the lad:D

now he knows how to get over em without the drama

i shudder to think what would happen if you binned it going over one and your bar-end dropped into one of the gaps......ouch!!!!!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
going to Piel the day befor, was heading up North over the lecht to meet Lowflyer.. there is a sneaky Cattle grid the North side of the mountain on a tight bend as you drop down to the Glenfiddich estate.. usually flip the bike upright as I scoot across, roads were snowy so I was very gentle and so not quite upright as I hit the grid.. FEK :(:confused::happy7: man folk pay good money for that kind of fairground ride..

I recon if I was slower I would have been off..:hitler::thumbright:

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
Yup upright, straight, no throttle, no brake, crossed on every day going too work in the seventies, at the end of the farm lane, also beware of ice on em in cold damp weather
Merv

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
No-ones mentioned standing on the pegs ??

Hit grid straght on, stand on pegs, lean back with weight to rear :thumb:

Oh and flat out :D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I always shut the throttle and allow the momentum to carry me over cattle grids in the wet. They are a good cure for constipation though.:D

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
And pull the clutch, I take it?

Could end badly if you didn't, on some bikes. ;-)

Cattle grids are nasty buggers, especially hidden ones in corners.

That said, finding a speed bump mid-corner at la-de-dah mph with the engine bars scraping the ground isn't much fun either. Not just your average brown trouser moment. :shock:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ha! spent the winter in dales based at malham, cattle grids when wet, snow and ice when too cold, and after the snow they started muck spreading so we had **** all over t' roads

Well worth it for the bends and hills tho!:thumbleft:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts