Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my insurance wont let me drive due to the cast on my arm/hand and my bike is written off resulting in me having to rely on public transport.
i have had to go from welwyn garden city to st albans this week which is a 7 mile journey and it costs 8 friggin quid for a 1 day return!!!!

now not being a frequent bus user i thought that was just the norm !

now today i have to go to southampton and due to my £8 bus journey every morning i was dreading the price of how much it was going to cost.

i searched the inter highway for the best price and the train was £40 return, then i had a moment of genuis and searched for the coach prices and was amazed to see that a coach from london to southampton which is only 45mins longer than the train to soton was £5.50

soo back to my original point how the fudge can small bus companies charge so much for a 7 mile journey yet national express can do an 80 mile journey for £2.50 less than my morning commute....

also another point how do people who are on benefits and/or have low paying jobs afford to get the bus every day?

i am funnily enough posting this from my coach trip to southampton as the coach has free wifi, which is something the train lacks!!!

now im not a tight arse in the slightest! its just i think for the price it costs me to fill the tank on my (now deceased) bike i could only afford to go to stalbans and back twice on the bus, whereas i could do 250kms out of my £16 quid on my bike.

could anyone enlighten me as to how they justify their pricing ????

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
728 Posts

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Because coach trips are planned journeys and they fill it up so they make a profit whereas your local bus service runs regardless of how many people get on and also more frequently so they have far mor overheads than the coaches thus the difference in price.

thats how i see it anyway... maybe Stumpy could tell me if i'm wrong?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
In London Buses are Subsidised so the fares are lower.
The running costs of a Bus work out at about £6 per mile.
A bus could run that distance without any passengers so the companies work out an annual average of passengers carried and annual mileage then get the fares from that.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
The coaches only run on profitable routes. Bus companies are obliged to run a service, which, in rural areas, is less well used.

It's chicken V egg all over again. People in rural places have cars because they feel they need them due to poor, infrequent and expensive public transport.

Once you have a car, it make sense and is more convenient to use it even if the bus down run at that time of day. That keeps demand for buses down, limits the service and pushes the price up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts