Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just been on the phone To George Whites who have quoted me £97.00 for parts and £50.00 labour to fit a 12 DC socket.
Can i just wire up a Dc socket straight to the battery thus not needing the quartet harness as nearly £150.00 for DC socket seems a little excessive.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm planning to do the same on my 700. I've already got an extension socket from Halfords (£12) to modify, just need to get the battery terminal connectors and inline fuse.

Just make sure you disconnect the earth connection first and reconnect it last when working on the battery...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Have just been on the phone To George Whites who have quoted me £97.00 for parts and £50.00 labour to fit a 12 DC socket.
Can i just wire up a Dc socket straight to the battery thus not needing the quartet harness as nearly £150.00 for DC socket seems a little excessive.
Indeed you can. If you don't want a fixed one, I used this version from this supplier:

12V inline accessory DIN type power socket 60cm cable > Motorcycle Heated Grips & Accessories_

It came to a very reasonable £15 with postage, has a waterproof cap and includes the fuse and ring connectors for the battery terminals. I leave mine poking out from under the left side of the seat near the tank and use it for battery charging and heated clothing.

If you want one that mounts somewhere, there are various other kits available such as this one from Touratech that fits by the fork:

Touratech UK Webshop

Powerlet in the US do a good range of various mounted sockets too for panels, bars and frame positions. I've used them a few times in the past, excellent products.

Honda XL700V Transalp 2008 - Present - Powerlet Products

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well fook me... £150 for supply and fitting of a power socket... I'm in the wrong job.... Tell you what mate have a look on good old Ebay, as in 5 mins have found all these for you to look at....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12v-MOTORCYCLE-WATERPROOF-ACCESSORY-SOCKET-1-8m-LOOM-/170482696923?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item27b18f82db
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170467315455&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12v-Motorcycle-Waterproof-Accessory-socket-Loom-Plug-/300290255860?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item45eab1abf4
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WATERPROOF-12V-ACCESSORY-CIGAR-SOCKET-MARINE-GRADE-/390147936774?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5ad6a11206
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12v-MOTORCYCLE-WATERPROOF-ACCESSORY-SOCKET-1-5m-LOOM-/180499282942?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a06987bfe
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12v-MOTORBIKE-WATERPROOF-ACCESSORY-LIGHTER-SOCKET-/170476840185?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item27b13624f9
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12v-TWIN-MOTORBIKE-WATERPROOF-ACCESSORY-LIGHTER-SOCKET-/180423957992?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a021b1de8
And the last one is even a double socket...;);)

very easy to fit, just like you said... wire directly to your battery, making sure you have an in-line fuse on the +ve connection going to the battery.

Here is the one I fitted to mine:

And here is the secondary fuse box I used to run the +ve connection to the battery... as you can see... I do have a few additional toy's wired up to mine, hence the need for the second fuse box...;);)

If you need a more detailed explanation of fitting one to yours, just let me know... and BTW, my advise is free to club members so you won't be charged £50 for an hours labour...:p:p

Titch:thumbleft:

·
My Blue Beast
756 Posts
glad im sat down reading that.........way over the odds. robbers or what:mad:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Don't forget to check out the boat spares part of fleabay, things tend to be alot more durable and corrosion resistant than fittings that are often designed to be fitted inside a car :thumbleft:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
towzatronics on eBay is yer Man, dirt cheap and decent bits, delivered fast. His kit comes with a harness with fuse and battery fittings all ready to go, 10-15mins max for a trailing socket under the seat. A bit longer for a fit into the fairing...

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
And here is the secondary fuse box I used to run the +ve connection to the battery... as you can see... I do have a few additional toy's wired up to mine, hence the need for the second fuse box...;);)

There's posh, Boy!! Proper fuses like....

Neat ;)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Just make sure you've ordered the Cig one as I ended up with the Din European one which is a different socket altogether.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
towzatronics on eBay is yer Man, dirt cheap and decent bits, delivered fast. His kit comes with a harness with fuse and battery fittings all ready to go, 10-15mins max for a trailing socket under the seat. A bit longer for a fit into the fairing...
I also vote for towzatronics, I got my cable made to order so I could leave it crocodile clipped to the battery under the seat charging my phone in my top box.

·
Transalp 700
28 Posts
I made an under-seat one up for about £4 (Maplins) A straight connection off the battery.
The best thing I purchased soon after was a £3 extension lead from Aldi.
This has x3 12v power outlets, long curly lead and a USB power socket, which comes in handy for phones etc. It will stretch to any point on the bike.
The cable stretches from under the seat (waterproof) and mounts behind the screen.
Having the USB power will prove useful for myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
At the risk of confirming myself as someone with more money than sense, can someone please point me in the direction of the official 12V socket for the XL700VA? If only to see what Honda are suggesting in terms of wiring and placement.

I'm aiming to connect one of those solar chargers (or optimiser, or whatever the correct sparky term is).

·
Registered
533 Posts
At the risk of confirming myself as someone with more money than sense, can someone please point me in the direction of the official 12V socket for the XL700VA? If only to see what Honda are suggesting in terms of wiring and placement.

I'm aiming to connect one of those solar chargers (or optimiser, or whatever the correct sparky term is).
If you fit their quartet harness (08A30-MFF-800) then you can add an accessory socket (08V70-MFF-800A) - i'll let you search for prices...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Harness and socket used to be in their accessory catalogue IRO £150 for harness and socket. Wonder why it's not their anymore???

Quartet harness was part of the kit which is a fancy but very neat way of adding sockets to plug accessories into, still used for heated grips, sat nav and front fog lights.

Other issue they had was that if you added all of these and used them at once, it exceeded the allowed draw from the battery!

Run 2 wires with battery contacts, under the tank and on the inner side of the frame with the other wires, up to and under the head brace and upto the right side of the key socket. That's the best place to mount an independent socket as per the oem model. Many other places to do it if you must.

I bought a Touratech alu bracket and din socket as its more compact than a cig socket and better weather proofing. Wires all shrink wrapped in that plastic stuff you shrink with a hair dryer or blow gun, nice and neat and probably better than oem. Oh, and a fused lead too, fuse down by battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Touratech one on their website ('specific' to the 2008+ TA, with stainless bracket) - is that DIN or cigar(ette)?
(forgive me if it's obvious)

Sadly, cigarette is likely to be more practical; avoiding the need to rewire anything that is subsequently connected.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts