Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an Africa Twin question that I could not seem to google up an answer for.
The rectifier went out on my RD07. Because of the high voltage it goes up to in process of dying, it burned out all the lights, cooked the battery, killed the CDI, and the tachometer also now does not work. It will not go above 2000 RPM indicated no matter what the engine is doing. I have replaced all the other parts , and now the bike runs fine. Except the tach still does not work. To prevent this from happening again I am putting a voltmeter on all my Twins. Has this anyone on this board had the same experience, and is there some tricky fix for the tach ?? I understand they are pretty pricey. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
No experience with your model or tacho failure, only that if suggest you run an earth return wire direct from the mounting point of your rec/reg to the battery negative.
Within a year or 2 of buying my '03 Transalp new, I read an article about Hondas dodgy rec/ regs and that the main cause is surface rust at the mounting point on the frame. This causes a poor circuit, the regulator thinks it needs to pump out more current and in doing that burns itself and, as you found, other electrical devices on the bike.
Their easy fix was to run that wire from the regulator body to the battery negative and mine still has that and the original rec/reg after over 180,000km and 16 years together.
Oops wasting my breathe it's a 14 year old post by the look of it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
No experience with your model or tacho failure, only that if suggest you run an earth return wire direct from the mounting point of your rec/reg to the battery negative.
Within a year or 2 of buying my '03 Transalp new, I read an article about Hondas dodgy rec/ regs and that the main cause is surface rust at the mounting point on the frame. This causes a poor circuit, the regulator thinks it needs to pump out more current and in doing that burns itself and, as you found, other electrical devices on the bike.
Their easy fix was to run that wire from the regulator body to the battery negative and mine still has that and the original rec/reg after over 180,000km and 16 years together.
Oops wasting my breathe it's a 14 year old post by the look of it.
I did the same mistake a few days ago. The new site look and feel must randomly pop on the top of topics old threads. It was better the previous version, as usual...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I did the same mistake a few days ago. The new site look and feel must randomly pop on the top of topics old threads. It was better the previous version, as usual...
Yes, I must try harder/check dates more closely.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts