Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have some questions for you regarding the AT if you don't mind helping me with some info.

I am new to the site. After doing a solo 6000 mile London to Cyprus trip and a 7000 mile tour of Scandinavia, Finland, Russia, and Estonia on my Harley 1200cc sportster, and a circumnavigation of Spain on my ZX6R (boy were my wrists hurting.... no, not from that! from riding the ZX6R :cheese: ) figured it is time to get a grown up bike thats built for the type for riding i do.

I have considered an 1150gs it is a bit to heavy as a bike, and on the wallet. I wanted a bike with an engine around 900cc as i will be riding two up now, i spoilt my solo riding career by meeting a Polish girl 20yrs my junior last year in Oslo who insists i take her on my next trip (how i suffer for my pastime). The only bike that i can find any where near that cubic capacity is the Tiger, but i,m considering an RTW and am not convinced of the Triumphs spares availability around the globe, so the only option i am left with is the AT

So my questions are......... are there any dealers in and around the London area (upto 100 miles) that specialize in AT's, where i can go and have a look at a few and crawl over them, i am looking for a late model so what problems should i be looking out for (apart from the obvious bikey things) I want to trade with a dealer as i have a 2 1/2 year old ZX6R to px, and i don't have the time to travel all over the UK to look at different bikes, does anybody think its worth me waiting a while for any new bike models coming up? I am not in any rush to buy i am just dipping my toes in the water..........Oh! before you ask, as i know somebody has thought of this question, no, the14yr old Harley never broke down once, not even a puncture :bom:

Cheers all and thanks for a great site.

Londonbubble

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Hi and welcome. Can't help you with dealers I'm afraid.

AT's a pretty solid machines overall. Some problems reported with fuel pumps - do a search for 'fuel pump' above and you'll find some detail and a neat fix. Rear wheel bearings tend to go fairly regularly. Clutches tend to rumble a bit but are actually OK. If the chain has been overtightened it can destroy the output shaft bearing (requiring an engine strip) - the chain should be looser than your average road bike (again some good material to be had through the 'search' section). Oooh, the seat...after an hour in the saddle you'll walk like John Wayne...two hours and it's permanent! Budget for a seat job!

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
Try a Transalp before being put off.
Its big enough two up if the girlfriend leaves her make-up at home and you pack light.
Better seat, no fuel pump, no oil cooler and any Honda dealer will supply one or parts.
ATs and GSs are lovely big bikes but I personally believe you should get the smallest bike that will do the job, which may be smaller still depending on how much offroad you intend doing.

Good luck, any chance of more detail of Soviet trip?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Welcome to the site londonbuble,

Don't know any AT dealers around, but try looking up the biketrader.co.uk for ATs sold by dealers in a 100 mile radius.

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
I bought my africa twin from HGB in Ruislip.( in 1997) they gave me a good deal on my transalp on part ex ( over double what the dealer who sold it to me and did all the servicing!) the owner loved africa twins and had one himself. I dont know if its still the same owner but it may be worth a try.

·
Registered
171 Posts
HGB Honda in Ruislip is my local dealer as well.
They often have late model Africa Twins in the shop.

They do have a web site which lists the currant stock as well.

Jon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Blues N Twos said:
HGB Honda in Ruislip is my local dealer as well.
They often have late model Africa Twins in the shop.

They do have a web site which lists the currant stock as well.

Jon
Hi there, Don't suppose you have the web address do you??? :study:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts