Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the downfalls of a decat of a Transalp 700?

I spoke to a mechanic and he advised against it because something had to be cleaned out every 2000km... or something like that.

Perhaps someone here could offer some sound advice?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anyone removed their cat? What were the results?

·
Administrator
1,784 Posts
I've not tried cat removal, but I'd think that, without the cat, there'd be fewer things to get clogged (and therefore need cleaning). The only reason that the very fine passages of cats rarely clog is that they run very hot and burn off any deposits. Or perhaps the mechanic was thinking of the particle filters fitted to many modern diesels, which do tend to get clogged and either require a high-speed run every 1000 miles or so to raise the temperature sufficiently to burn off the deposits, or use the injection of some special fuel into the system periodically to achieve the same end.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Sounds like the mechanic is talking bollox :confused:

I have removed the subchamber (not a cat) from my 650Alp, removed cat from my Transit and again from BM650 single - results range from hardly noticeable (Transit), to worthwhile (BM).
There is nothing to get 'blocked up' by its removal.
There must be someone who has fitted straight through headers on a 700?

Phil

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

Still undecisive whether to remove or not.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Remove it like Phil I have removed cat from scooby impreza. . .impressive to my old T4. . responsive. I also did my 660 tenere superb response but did need a fuel map change which I would guess the alp would also need. I do intend on getting rid of the cat on my 650 as they are pointless emissions garbage

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
125 Posts
I removed the CAT with the link pipe and added a Leo vince end can and K&N. Quite simple to do, but safely store these parts just in case you want to return it to standard later on.

Now the only problem I found by doing this was that if messed up the fuelling. Some say that being FI it should adjust to suit on its own, however I think that this change was outside of the automatic adjustment....it ran like sh*te !

After a few hundred miles I found that it was constantly running rich (Colour of plugs) and it was a very rough on low revs :(

Fitted a "power commander" and set up on a rolling road and WOW, what a difference. Runs so sweet now (has done for the last 16k miles since):mrgreen:.........the whole performance feels better, right through the rev range to the red line.

The other bonus was fuel consumption. I commute into London on a daily basis with a mixture of roads....i don't normally hang around either.

The MPG is in the Fuelly logo below. The total conversion cost is a little prohibitive for some, but i would recommend to do all or nothing. With the increased MPG the power commander has more than paid for itself since fitted.

You could sell the parts on if you sell the bike in the future, or make the bike more "sellable" by leaving them on.

Hope this helps....Cheers.

Not r

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all once again. Ignorant question... what is the fuel mapping? I am on budget and this mechanic reckons he can do it for R1000 which is about 70 pounds. I dont want to end up with a botch job that will end up costing thousands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts