Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's an oppertunity for me to get an AT in the near future. Two bikes have recently come on the market, I need some help.

The first is a '94, it's up for £2k. It's got 24,000 miles on the clock and looks to be in good condition. The second is a '97, it's up for £2.5k. It's double the mileage of the '94 with 48,000.

Would there be any reason to spend the extra £500 on the '97? Does the newer model offer anything other than being 3 years younger? I assume there were some changes in model design during those 3 years.

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,085 Posts
Depends.

Mileage is not so much a factor of these bikes. Look for the usual FSH etc.

An older bike in better nick is a better bet.

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
728 Posts
As i rule of thumb - i was always told by my old man that i should go and find the best example that i could afford..

So look at them again in detail and check all history - as futter said - and make sure you are happy and feel 100% confident about it...

hope this hleps..

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Mileage is nothing to guage a bike by. The newer bike could have had one oil change, the older one a full service history.

Look at both in detail, check every nook and cranny and examine any service history.

Mechanically there is not a lot to go wrong if the bike is cared for, but cosmetic parts can be expensive to replace.

Judge each bike for the condition of the bike ONLY. Ignore any extras that are fitted at this stage, just satisfy yourself that the bike is good.

Assuming it's a dealer, ask if they will provide a warranty, even a 30 day one, or one of those agreements where you can bring the bike back if you're not totally happy with it.

Try to check the following;

Gearbox output shaft (easy, but not the sort of thing a seller might be bothered showing you)

Wheel condition - corrosion can be an issue

Brake condition - corrosion can be an issue

All AT's a good tough bikes, if you have any reason to think twice about a bike, walk away, there are always others out there.
Get a good one, and you won't regret it, or want to sell it EVER!

Good Luck.

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I always buy on condition and history NOT age
The earlier bikes ( RD07 gold adonised wheels etc) are far better build quality and finish. By RD07A the finish was cheaper, they even removed one of the clips from the seat base, deleted the grease nipples from the suspension etc etc.

I had this one with 33,000miles several careful owners and was better than NEW. ( Now sold before you ask!)

then I recently bought this one 5 years younger 28,000 miles 3 owners and a bit of a project as it had been neglected but has fewer owners and was a 'Grey' import.
Yes I'm sorting this one now

so it pays to get the BEST condition/ history that you can
unless you are confident to tackle all the work necessary

Good luck

Magwa:thumbup:

·
Woohoo!!!
162 Posts
Agree with the guys above. I bought my '96 model with 60k on the clock but checked the service history and owner etc. Brilliantly looked after means no hassle for me (besides the dodgy fuel pump, but that's common) and was worth it.

Year / model not nearly as important as owner / service history.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,039 Posts

I believe that was the bike displayed on a stand at this year's BMF show. The owner said he'd bought it off someone from this forum.

I borrowed it (with permission) and wheeled it to a different stand to see if a front wheel bike parking wossname would work on a 21 incher.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would seem sensible to go for the bike being sold by the franchised dealer. Are there any quick ways of checking service history these days?

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Look for old MOT's, receipts, and mileages and see if it all ties in.

Ask them if they'll put a warranty on the bike for a month or so, or get a mate who's really sure about bikes to give it the once over.

If you're like me, you'll know if it's the right bike.

Just be prepared to walk away if it don't feel right.

Good Luck

Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

I believe that was the bike displayed on a stand at this year's BMF show. The owner said he'd bought it off someone from this forum.

I borrowed it (with permission) and wheeled it to a different stand to see if a front wheel bike parking wossname would work on a 21 incher.
probably NOT this one as I sold it to a guy in Kidderminster ( west mids) in a part exchange for my BMW GSA ( private deal) and I believe he still has it.
It does not get much use as he is busy rebuilding his first house
It will now have TT panniers fitted
But it was a Minter

:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts