Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wheels being replaced on bike and a general tarting up is on the cards,

The whole backend is covered in scottoil. What's the best thing to remove it all, that's kind on plastics.

The panels also have deep stained road dirt and grime on them, what's the best for restoring then back to new without respraying.

I have tried wd40 on the panels but it didn't make much difference and left a greasy film that just attached more dirt and grime.

Cheers in advance

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
MUC OFF chain cleaner should do the scottoil stuff, + Try MUC OFF bike cleaner spray its the pink one in a squirty type 1ltr bottle and a soft brush, PS. i dont work for MUC OFF.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
muckoff types of stuff are wickedly good, but some are high in sulphates or what-not, if left on alloy for too long to do their magic & not thoroughly rinsed-off, it leaves a milky effect. white plastics... jif, clean cotton cloth & morning with radio 6 in the garage & a good cotton cloth to buff.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I myself use jizer degreaser its only 20 euro for 5 litres . I spill a sup into an old coffee jar and use a smallish household paint brush to work it in . I used to use a tooth brush to work off baked on oil from leaking rocker box covers on old air cooled zeds .looking back I suppose I should have bought a new gasket . if I had know back then what I know now I still wouldn't have know much LOL. but I would have bought a transalp 600 and probably an Africa twin too for going a bit quick and going a bit farther .

·
Commuter Extraordinaire
483 Posts
I clean my @ once a year and it always cleans up brilliantly - I liberally brush-on Gunk degreaser to all the oily bits, hose it off and then re-clean with Autoglym M/C cleaner or Muc-Off (i.e. alkaline sprays which are sprayed on, agitated with a brush and hosed off). The plastics may need lightly T-cutting, as said above, to get off engrained grime.
The reason my bike stays looking good is that I cover all corrodible parts with ACF50 and spray grease - even where the paint has started to flake off the frame, there's not a spot of rust. However, it looks like sh*te for 6 months of the year but when you're commuting that hardly matters!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts