Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume these are restricted for learners. Can they be given a bit more oomph easily?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
google search for vincentcrabtree xr200 throws up a downloadable pdf file that is on this site but cannot get it from the address. Also have some assorted files downloaded some years ago from ???
PM me with an email address & I will send you the files.
Years ago I put a 185 crank head barrel piston into a monoshock 6 speed 125 cases sold it to a guy that did LDT he used it for many years.
Met a guy at a local VMCC meet who had done a similar thing more recently.
I think there are some 200 options now as 185's are a bit collectable (expensive!)
If it must remain 125 I have a copy of a US (I think) magazine article on a racing 125.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
google search for vincentcrabtree xr200 throws up a downloadable pdf file that is on this site but cannot get it from the address. Also have some assorted files downloaded some years ago from ???
PM me with an email address & I will send you the files.
Years ago I put a 185 crank head barrel piston into a monoshock 6 speed 125 cases sold it to a guy that did LDT he used it for many years.
Met a guy at a local VMCC meet who had done a similar thing more recently.
I think there are some 200 options now as 185's are a bit collectable (expensive!)
If it must remain 125 I have a copy of a US (I think) magazine article on a racing 125.
Everything I read (after posting this without thinking) is that the only way to make it faster is to put in a bigger engine - and that is not the point. Never mind eh?

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is no restriction. The engine is just a basic 4 stroke built to comply with whatever the power limit was at the time!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The xr200 file is #4 in http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/other-honda/80587-xlr-125r-1999-xl185-cylinder.html. Although it was to make a 200 it has info on the whole range 100-230s.
Checking through my files there is a 6 page (4.5mb) article on 100/125 tuning, another on making a lighter frame for a 125, another in making a longstroke 125 by mixing cb100 crank and after market piston for a torquee motor.
I think the easy way for more performance is 'no sub for cubes' approach as they all look the same else it is a slimming exercise for the bike (and rider?) the Colin Chapman tuning method.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am thinking of ditching it. I barely ride it as it is so under-powered and my son shows no interest. My daughter likes it but is not 16 until February so I am wondering about a old 50cc bike that won't arouse suspicion but at least lets her accelerate out of trouble. Any recommendations for old 50cc 2-strokes with a bit of grunt? Has to be dirt cheap as insurance will mean third-party only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts