Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so pissed off today, just received a letter from Honda France informing me that my @ (ex 621Andy and my first @ http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/photography/80819-2013-calendar-photo-thread-3.html ) which was originally from Germany but now UK plated, can't be registered in France because it is a different spec to French XRV's. We've just moved here full time after I left the RAF after 26yrs.

The bike was originally restricted from the factory (inlet rubbers) but there appears to be no logic to their decision, or reasoning with them. The only option I have is to cough up Euro 400 to have it tested as a non compliant vehicle (like a kit car).

Anyone after a 93 RD07 or I may well just tuck it away in the barn? I will be getting a french registered @ if I can't get this registered. :(

Sorry for the rant but it makes my blood boil, some of the sheds the locals drive around need to be seen to be believed...

And breathe....

Chris

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Sorry to hear this red tape hypocracy

400 Euros - is that a one off or will that be every year?

If it's a one off I would take that option of you're happy with the bike as it might be cost effective when compared to advertising, selling and buying another AT that you might not know as well. You also need to factor in the time used for all transactions.

Hope you get sorted mate

Reactions: Jammytask

·
Registered
281 Posts
Grit your teeth
Pay the money.
This is total and utter Bollox I know.
The French like their petty rules more than most.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know what the different spec is for the French market but it was not the power output of the engine. The only markets that reduced output Africa Twins were marketed were Germany (along with the full power version), Austria and Switzerland.

I'm quite sure that Honda will be able to confirm this for you. What exactly is the problem?
Sorry mate, you've misunderstood me. The bike was originally a German market bike that I rode in the UK. The French won't register it because it's not the same as their homologated model. Current waiting time for single vehicle approval is 7-8mths apparently!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
400 Euros - is that a one off or will that be every year?
It's just a one off fee thankfully, but the insurance will be more expensive as it's a 'special' according to the local broker! It's less powerful than their standard version....

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's just a one off fee thankfully, but the insurance will be more expensive as it's a 'special' according to the local broker! It's less powerful than their standard version....
Do they have the equivalent of classic insurance?
Given its 21 years old.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do they have the equivalent of classic insurance?
Given its 21 years old.
Fingers crossed! I can only get a 30 day policy based on the uk reg plate so it'll be 6 months or so before I need to worry about it. It'll be taken off the road but I can ride it occasionally off road thankfully to keep it healthy(ish)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Happy days, collected a '98 RD07 from a Gendarme in Grenoble this morning (pic in the @ in 2014 thread). Insurance tomorrow then out for an explore :)

·
'06 Transalp
413 Posts
I'm so pissed off today, just received a letter from Honda France informing me that my @ (ex 621Andy and my first @ http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/photography/80819-2013-calendar-photo-thread-3.html ) which was originally from Germany but now UK plated, can't be registered in France because it is a different spec to French XRV's. We've just moved here full time after I left the RAF after 26yrs.

The bike was originally restricted from the factory (inlet rubbers) but there appears to be no logic to their decision, or reasoning with them. The only option I have is to cough up Euro 400 to have it tested as a non compliant vehicle (like a kit car).

Anyone after a 93 RD07 or I may well just tuck it away in the barn? I will be getting a french registered @ if I can't get this registered. :(

Sorry for the rant but it makes my blood boil, some of the sheds the locals drive around need to be seen to be believed...

And breathe....

Chris
Just do what the French do when they don't like something; set fire to something and block the ports. I'm sure they'll reconsider their point of view.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Just do what the French do when they don't like something; set fire to something and block the ports. I'm sure they'll reconsider their point of view.
hey you forgot throwing a donkey off a motorway bridge nothing gets their attention like throwing a donkey off a bridge . :lol: do French people really shit in the shower and poke it down the plug hole with their big toe I read that they do in back street heroes years and years ago but it sounds like a load of crap :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts