Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELL YES!!

New plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter (Honda OEM), brake fluid and coolant.

1. Engine runs smoother at low revs and idles better.
2. Gears changing better.
3. Bike felt like the wind was on my back the first day I rode it - breathes better with new air filter.
4. Brakes feel like ive got new ones fitted from a blade....wasnt going to change the brake fluid either..glad I did.

Best tip - buy a Little Bleeder from Motrax - so simple to change brake fluid - got that from someone else on here ..priceless!

In fairness, it is 10k since last service so it needed it but I covered 3/4 of that in the summer over 3 months so I wasnt doing 2 services just for the sake of it.

Valve clearances next.....:cry:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
That service most probably saved you around £200 in labour charges.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
youve been busy mate

i should do all that to my varadero but with the CBS/ABS im not going near the brakes!
when i booked my services the dealer said honda have changed the intervals to go on mileage now and ignore the six months, 8K miles is more than a year for me so i do an oil/filter change between dealer services and the odd bit of lubeing here and there, more to say ive done something than because bertha needs it. oil and filter is usually pee cheap at halfords (with trade card) thats the most i do, that and brake pads with a good caliper clean while im there. dont even have to touch the chain between tyre changes thanks to the snottoiler.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go on..do it yourself!

I am mechanically minded but this us seriously easy stuff.

My brakes are abs/CBS too. No different to any other brake system as far as changing the fluid is concerned. Open the resevoir, open the bleed valve, pump the brake lever til the resevoir is near low, top up the res and pump again. If you use the Little Bleeder attached to the bleed valve, the one way valve stops air coming back into the system, otherwise you have to close the valve after every pump of the braked prior to release.
Simples! Peep.

Varadero should have mire room to work too, damn TA700 is cramped in something serious, otherwise valve clearance is a cinch too.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
:happy2:LOL, im mechanically minded too, i build helicopters. my point was i dont bother doing all that because its covered on the services. im a bit sad i suppose still thinking that little stamp in the book means something these days, but i know its a bargaining chip when i take it to the same dealer when i PX it for another honda.
when i bought my varadero i traded in a triumph and the first thing he asked was has it had its 12Kmi service? (thats the biggy for a 955) without it he didnt want it, so theyre not dum.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oops. Just realised I put Dot5.1 brake fluid in instead if Dot4.0. I take it the higher number means it's thicker?

Will this cause issues?

Brakes are way better, firmer and requiring less effort. Will the issue come in the form of leaks on hard use due to over pressure on seals etc?

Davsato - I know what you mean, I bought a service package with the bike covering the first 3 upto/incl the 'big' 12k. After that it's all routine apart from valve clearances that I've yet to do. Considering paying the dealer to do out of fussyness more than anything. I like some things to be done correctly as such. Can't say that about oil/filters etc.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Dot 5.1 takes more heat than the Dot 4 so won't boil when you use the bike for track days (!!!!!!!!). The down side is that is absorbs water quicker and will need changing more often...

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
Oops. Just realised I put Dot5.1 brake fluid in instead if Dot4.0. I take it the higher number means it's thicker?

Will this cause issues?

Brakes are way better, firmer and requiring less effort. Will the issue come in the form of leaks on hard use due to over pressure on seals etc?

Davsato - I know what you mean, I bought a service package with the bike covering the first 3 upto/incl the 'big' 12k. After that it's all routine apart from valve clearances that I've yet to do. Considering paying the dealer to do out of fussyness more than anything. I like some things to be done correctly as such. Can't say that about oil/filters etc.
i do oil+filters every six months myself, even though the dealer said every 8K is ok thats still a years riding for me and i dont like oil to get that old. oil+filter is £20 in halfords, the triumph took mobil1 racing oil that was £12 a litre!!

errr..... the brake fluid thing- make sure its definately DOT5.1, because DOT4 and DOT5.1 are both glycol based and youre okay, but if youve put DOT5 in thats silicon based and youve shagged all your seals! go and look in the bin and check that bottle now

1 - 9 of 9 Posts