Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a nasty raining sunday, today .

But I was keen to get along to the Bikesafe Course at Aberdeen.

The bad forecast had limited the numbers of people who turned up, only 8 .

But we had a informative Computer Presentation in the morning , which was hosted by one of the Bike Cops. This included all aspects of riding.

After the Presentation we had coffee break and a chat.

Next we had a discussion about first aid , and first on scene, presented by a paramedic..

After Lunch , we where off to the Garage where we got a mechanical / Maintenence Talk, by a Special who has 40 years in bike mechanics.

The forum will be glad to know that my TA, passed with flying colours. He was very impressed, and took great pleasure in describing how the chain was perfect!. LoL

After that , we went out on our Observed Rides..
Twisties galore , we did some following the bike cop.

Later a got my turn in the front and was assessed, mostly on cornering , road positioning.
So the outcome....... I impressed the bike cop. :rolleyes:

He pointed out a couple of things I could do to make things better, but I was well chuffed.

But a large thanks goes out to this forum , for the maintenance advice...:thumbright:

And the forum members who I have met , and passing on their Knowledge about road craft,,, especially big thanks to SteveT who has helped me alot.
(And he also recommended the course)

I would recommend the bikesafe course to anyone, whether returning to biking or newly passed their test..
:p

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts

But we had a informative Computer Presentation in the morning , which was hosted by one of the Bike Cops. This included all aspects of riding.

Next we had a discussion about first aid , and first on scene, presented by a paramedic..

After Lunch , we where off to the Garage where we got a mechanical / Maintenence Talk, by a Special who has 40 years in bike mechanics.

The forum will be glad to know that my TA, passed with flying colours. He was very impressed, and took great pleasure in describing how the chain was perfect!. LoL

Later a got my turn in the front and was assessed, mostly on cornering , road positioning.

He pointed out a couple of things I could do to make things better, but I was well chuffed.

But a large thanks goes out to this forum , for the maintenance advice...:thumbright:

And the forum members who I have met , and passing on their Knowledge about road craft,,, especially big thanks to SteveT who has helped me alot.

I would recommend the bikesafe course to anyone, whether returning to biking or newly passed their test..
Did mine a few years back on my Firestorm. Was a good day:p:p as we were told not to stick to speed limits as they could not assess how we ride, if we rode like angels on the day. The only exception was in built up areas and towns as the traffic units were **** hot for the 30mph zone,but not many of them were on the route. I don't remember first aid or first responders being involved but there was a thing by the road safety unit due to the amount of accidents in Cornwall during the Summers. The police riders introduced themselves to us checked out bikes were legal we then put the radio's on and were out for the day 2 riders to 1 police rider. Police rider stayed mainly in the middle and me and the other person on course swapped from front to rear as directed.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I am looking forward to doing mine in August.

·
My Blue Beast
756 Posts

glad to hear your day went well. would consider doing same if one crops up this way. so, i take it your the man to ask in future with regards chain tension etc on our ta`s then.:thumbup: cheers ade

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so, i take it your the man to ask in future with regards chain tension etc on our ta`s then
I guess I was lucky.. with the measuring tape..

The speed. . No speeding .. Bike cop said he would expect 65 in a 60 if overtaking , but thats it . And as you say, strictly 30 in a 30... He did mention that he would book anyone excessively speeding.. Fair Enough I thought..

But our group had a very new rider, who was not to confident in the country roads and the wet,, so we stayed together.. working on the positioning.

Which worked out good for everybody on the course.

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's an XRV Forum Bikesafe day being organised of 29th August at The Warren, Kent and there's still places :thumbright:

XRV BikeSafe Day
Alpslapper, I saw your thread.. looks like a great day you have organized , An XRV Bikesafe Day.. Great,, Meet up with friends from the forum and do a great course...

Hope you get the places filled and have a good day for it. :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The bike maintenance and the first on scene is an excellent idea. When I done the course in Fife these were were not included.

Glad you benefited from the day LWR :thumbup:

·
Hill Rider
3,112 Posts
Glad it all worked out Craig & well done you :thumbright:

Nice to see that you'd been paying attention during class :rolleyes: :D :thumbup:

The condition of a machine & the rider (chain tension/lubing/tyres etc) for the bike, what type of clothing the rider is wearing) I find gives me an idea of a riders attitude, not just to their machine but to the way they approach riding. 1st impressions and all that :thumbup:

And your next step is . . . . . . . . ?

Steve T

:cool:

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad it all worked out Craig & well done you :thumbright:

Nice to see that you'd been paying attention during class :rolleyes: :D :thumbup:

The condition of a machine & the rider (chain tension/lubing/tyres etc) for the bike, what type of clothing the rider is wearing) I find gives me an idea of a riders attitude, not just to their machine but to the way they approach riding. 1st impressions and all that :thumbup:

And your next step is . . . . . . . . ?

Steve T

:cool:

Thanks Steve.

I was shocked at one of the bikes that was there, the mechanic was shaking his head. Nearly illegal back tyre, chain so loose , nearly coming off, broken clutch lever, side stand bent, was surprised he let the race exhaust go though.. LoL

All the mechanic said, to the bike cop was, that one needed its weekly check.. LoL

Nect step, when I come back from holidays, not sure ?? maybe Advanced Rider Scheme. :thumbright:

Or I could try to keep up with you... (doubtful) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
318 Posts
I cannot reccomend the bike safe more highly. I did mine through work and what a great day out it was.
Had about half an hour in the class room then the "Rozzers" done a quick once over on the bikes (mine was the smallest there XR250R on enduro rubber)(road legal though).
Happy with the bikes off we went into the murky wet wastes of Dartmoor and the surrounding areas.
Stictly sticking to the 30 40 speed limits but anything went on the nationals. (albiet I was topping out at 75mph).
Some excelent feed back from our instructors and loads learnt. Even saw my instructor off on a section of down hill sharp left hump back bridge sharp right then up hill all with a centre section of the road covered in gravel and wet tarmac.
ok he did pull me up after at the next change over to say that I could of gone a little slower as he was at the limits of his control trying to keep up. (give him his due though his beemer must of weighed three times that of my XR).
But the best bit was on my way home from work the other month I was pulled over by a road side check point, seconds before my exhaust collar gave out and was making a right rattle, so there I was right foot up on the exhaust heat shield trying to see if that was rattling coming round a corner more interested at looking at my bike trying to figure out what had just gone wrong. looking more like a complete imbecile rather than a competent rider.
Anyway in i pull and it was the same officer who took me for my course ended up spinnig dits for half an hour and was let on my way without even a glance at the bike.
Moral of the story be nice to the police, they have a bloody hard job to do as it is, you never know it might just let you get away with some arse riding one day:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts