Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont normally get involved in political shenanigans, but this has got me a bit rattled ('compulsory' - another erosion of our/our childrens freedom), and was released low key in News of the world (but i found it on the internet) :

By Ian Kirby, 12/04/2009
PM Gordon Brown intends to force every teenager in the country to carry out 50 HOURS of work to help the community.

His call today for youngsters to do their duty and work for Britain echoes Lord Kitchener's World War One recruiting poster with its slogan: "Your country needs you."

Writing exclusively for the News of the World on this page, the Prime Minister reveals the community service would be COMPULSORY.

It must be completed by the time a youngster reaches 19.

Mr Brown says: "It is my ambition to create a Britain in which there is a clear expectation that all young people will undertake some service to their community-and where community service will become a normal part of growing up in Britain.

"And, by doing so, the contributions of each of us will build a better society for all of us."

Last year the PM proposed the idea of a National Youth Service, which would channel young volunteers into community work. But now he plans to make it compulsory and include it in Labour's next election manifesto.

Aides say rebuilding Britain's community spirit will be the central theme of Labour's campaign.

Mr Brown has already introduced citizenship classes in every school. Under the latest plans, teenagers would take part in approved local projects - such as refurbishing community centres, visiting the elderly and helping charities.

Some may also be able to apply to do voluntary work abroad. One idea Mr Brown has proposed is to help create a global army of volunteers to work in disaster areas.

From 2011, everyone will have to stay in school or formal training until age 18-and his new scheme is expected to be integrated into that as part of the national curriculum.

It will be formally launched on a voluntary basis in September, and expanded to make it compulsory if Mr Brown wins the next election.
Young can boost community spirit

By Gordon Brown
EVEN in the face of these difficult economic times, the generosity and community spirit of the British people is humbling.

Whether raising record amounts for Comic Relief or rallying round after disaster struck in the North Sea, we have seen communities across the country draw closer than ever to help and care for each other in times of need.

What is inspirational is the number of young people who are serving their communities in endeavours from charity fundraising to green activism. We want to harness and encourage this community spirit.

Already three million young people give their time to community service each year, usually without recognition or reward, whether by helping in an old age home or tutoring younger pupils, campaigning on local issues or fundraising for global causes, organising community activities or helping deliver environmental projects.
But we can achieve a step change in the participation of young people in community service.

It is my ambition to create a Britain in which there is a clear expectation that all young people will undertake some service to their community, and where community service will become a normal part of growing up.
Compulsory

That would mean young people being expected to contribute at least 50 hours of community service by the the age of 19. This will build on the platform provided by citizenship classes in schools.

As we set out our manifesto for the next Parliament, we will consider the best way of achieving our 50-hour goal. By building from compulsory citizenship studies in the 14-16 curriculum, we can create an expectation of national youth community service.

And we can take immediate steps in the next school year to boost national youth community service. This will give thousands more pupils the opportunity to participate in community service and many more school-leavers the opportunity to undertake full-time and part-time placements.

Martin Luther King once said that everyone could be great because everyone can serve. And with our younger generations more involved in their communities, we can build a stronger, more united Britain.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I agree with it. It Would reduce the rude behavior of todays youth.

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
It will not make any difference at all because all the respect has gone.
The kids today are untouchable and they know it.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Well there may be a prominent minority of young people who take advantage of a society that can be scared to set standards, but I know LOADS of young people who are fun, helpful, conscientious and a credit to their parents.

I agree that compulsory schemes like this can be a slippery slope, but overall I think there's some merit. Worth debating anyway.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
It is wrong way round. The Citizenship stuff I have seen at my son's school is outstanding. They get them involved in local campaigns and projects and the school even won money off the council to do up and poorly lit walkway that the kids felt was dangerous.

Encouraging kids to do voluntary stuff in the community yes. Forcing them, no.

I do far too much voluntary stuff and I often wish more people would volunteer but I don't want them forced to take part. Volunteers usually do a better job.

The old naval adage has it: One volunteer is worth ten pressed men.

One word of caution on that: Some people use volunteering as a way of achieving positions of authority and power they could never achieve in a paid-for, work environment (or at least they end up in those positions, even if they never set out with that purpose). But that is really only because not enough people volunteer.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I don't see what the problem is with that, maybe give them a few more hours and keep them off the streets, might help to get the kids disciplined again if carried out correctly by people who can actually organise people and want to work for there communities. Would probably become a sham if left to local government and local/parish councils though

·
TV boffin
328 Posts
This is like a variation of the standard-old-git idea "make them all do National Service, it'll teach them respect".

It won't teach respect. Think of the various things in life that you are compelled to do - especially at school age. Do these compulsions teach you to respect the rule makers at the time? No. The ones who need to be taught respect are the very ones who it will not reach.

It may be good for "the community" (whatever that is) though. But I suspect it will become a form of make-work for some, where the sheer pointlessness of the tasks will be exasperating and will invite rebelliousness, and for some others it will feel like indentured servitude and will cause hatred of authority.

And what happens if some fail to complete their 50 hours by age 19? Prosecution? Fines? Jail? Or maybe this will be the only way to avoid a "black mark" on some sort of compulsory national CV (or worse yet, an ID card)? "Sorry kid, you can't have emergency medical treatment after this accident - you only did 44 hours of forced labour when you were a teenager"

As soon as the flaw in enforcement is identified, those who do not respect authority will bunk off. Just like school. Those who do not bunk off don't need to be taught respect in the first place.

·
Xi dwejjaq member
922 Posts
The future belongs to those who prepare for it ... and probably the Robots too.

So, again I say, We're all doomed!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Stand them in front of a firing squad, bullets only cost 10p each to make, saves thousands in legal costs at a later date.:D

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm with Dee W & Wheelie on this one.

I teach 16-19 year olds. The majority are funny, caring individuals with a wide eyed wonder for the world that we could only dream of re-gaining.

There were 25 teenagers killed in knife crime last year, every one of them made the headlines. Over 24,000 teenagers have been given Diana Awards for services to their community over the last 10 years. How many of them made the headlines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts