Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to xr's and whilst hunting for a bike i have noticed that the seems to be a difference between the R and the L.
for example i have seen some on flea bay both the same year however the frames and engines look completely different, sorry for sounding niave but what's that all about.
and which makes the best all round bike.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
The ( L) used a different frame than the (R) and uses the dommie engine with an electric boot not as power full as the (R) which has a kick start, water cooled engine. The engine is bonkers very powerful. you point it at a hill and either go up it or it will dig you through it. :D:D:D

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Consider the L a more civilized XR600 its ol design RFVC engine that they say is bombproof and would be better for dualsport compared to the R which are just great:D

·
is away...
33 Posts
new to xr's and whilst hunting for a bike i have noticed that the seems to be a difference between the R and the L.
for example i have seen some on flea bay both the same year however the frames and engines look completely different, sorry for sounding niave but what's that all about.
and which makes the best all round bike.
Seriously? - virtually everything is different - other than the capacity... the 650R is essentially a [desert] race bike, the 650L a trailie...

As the guys say above, the 650L is air-cooled, and a steel frame.. the 650R has an aluminium frame and a watercooled engine, getting on for almost twice the power... )Ok, I exaggerate slightly, but the power difference is enormous!). The 650R has excellent suspension (and can be improved further with lighter weight fork oil), the 650L great trail suspension, but very 'soft' in comparison...

The 650R is kick start only, unless you are very lucky to find one that has been converted, or spend a significant amount on a kit from XRStuff (recommended)... the seat and ergonomics are much more race orientated on the 650R (read less fuel capacity and thinner seat)...

The 650R will need significantly more frequent oil changes (ideally every 1000 miles max), although the engine itself is incredibly strong and reliable for such a 'race' orientated bike...

Basically if you want to scare yourself, get a 650R... if you want to plod around on the trails on a fully road-legal bike, get a 650L...

Oh, and the 650R looks like a million times better!

Toot toot!

J xx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts