Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I have spotted an issue on my calipers after season end, and the issue was that the disc was kinda eating into the caliper holder (black part) somehow. I took it apart and saw the caliper needed a rebuild since everything was pretty much stuck with no lateral movement at all .. You can clearly see the "dent" the disc made into the black holder part of the caliper.

Anyway, I have just got the calipers back (new seals and rubbers, polished pistons etc .. ), runs like butter. After putting it back together the problem is still there. See the picture attached, i think it explains more than I can with words.

The pads are not new but have quite some meat on it. They are pretty much the same in terms of thickness on both sides, so the problem is not that. I have my brothers RD07 in the garage too - he has half the thickness of pads and still has more room than my good side - the caliper pushes nicely from theouterside on both sides, so there is plenty of room left on the innerside of the caliper.

I stared at this for quite some time but cannot find a logical explanation for this issue. Can someone shed some light on this maybe? Why is there room on one side and eating into the disc on the other?

Thanks for your answers, have a good weekend!
jaka

·
Registered
964 Posts
Is your disc warped through getting hot and cooling I would put a straight edge against it or take it off and put on a glass table with feeler guages

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. Will check tomorrow (i think it should be visible when spinning the wheel if the difference is due to warping), although not sure how only one side would be warped. Bike was running until end of season though, i guess i'd feel the warp?

cheers,
jaka

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I've had a disc on my xr400 warp like a dish, ran straight and true on the bike but take it off and put a straight edge across it and the middle of the disc was nowhere near it
IMG_7016_zpsd36a1af2.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

Wow, that is a warped disc. I do not have much trust in these newer EBC discs to be honest (3rd season on the bike), the originals were far superior... Will definitely remove it in the next days and try to eliminate the problem, although I am not totally convinced this is the issue yet.

I tried to spin the wheel today and looks fine, although it is not spinning freely in reverse - i guess the disc is "catching" in the caliper on the edge. Will start removing things one by one try to eliminate from scratch.

The thing that i noticed and worries me is that when the bike is on the center stand (there is no fender "bridge" or anything currently bolted on on the forks) is that the distance from the edge of the tire to the rubber boot/gaiter on one side is shorter than the other, so the wheel seems a bit closer to the left fork than it is to the right. On one side i can fit my finger in, on the other i cant. Which i cannot really explain honestly. The wheel has the speedo gearing on the right side and a metal "spacer" on the other.. And thats all that is to fit, dont know what else could effect this offset. Is this normal? The axle is tightened to the specified torque .. I mean its not rocket science. Does that metal bridge between the forks that the fender sits one have any function in this case? This offset to the left fork could actually explain why is it "pushing" into the right caliper.

Will look it over today with a friend and post some pictures.

Thanks for the input guys!
Jaka

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I don't think that bridge as you call it will have anything to do with your problem, the only other things i can think of is incorrect wheel spacer, damaged wheel bearings or the wheel spindle clamp on the fork leg has been tightened with the fork leg pushed in or pulled out too much. Just in case you don't know after tightening the wheel spindle the clamp is supposed to be left loose while you pump the forks up and down with the front brake on. this is supposed to set the fork leg in the right position before you tighten the 4 nuts to clamp the fork leg to the spindle

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your reply Fred,

The spacer is original, i have never swapped it or anything... Also the wheel has been removed XY times since i own the bike and I never put much thought into it and it was always fine. Bearings seem fine, although i was thinking of swapping them eventually as a precaution.

I always tighten the axle first and then the clamp with the upper part first as stated in the Haynes manual. Although this time i did not lower the bike from the center stand before tightening the clamps - i thought that once the axle is tightened you cannot really mess up the fork leg position, since the axle sits pretty much flush in the slot below the clamp. But i will redo this today with your tips in mind while i inspect everything else, disc included. Will also do some pics and do a follow up.

thanks!
jaka

1 - 7 of 7 Posts