Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite my misgivings, we're leaving our little bit of the countryside and have bought a new house in a town (shock. horror.). At least we'll be able to walk down to a shop or a post office. On the downside, my AT will have to left out on the road from now on as there's no access to the new house(we're up a steep hill with only a path going up to it). I know it'll be weeks before I get a good night's sleep knowing it's out there but maybe it'll help having a decent deterrent. I know no lock will stop a determined thief/scumbag/scrote but are there on the market any that'll will at least slow them up?

·
XRV750 RD04
1,549 Posts
I've got a motrax vishas and it seems really good (one of the few disk locks recommended by that guy zanx on the rev counter on the link above), but I'm not sure if I'd trust it leaving the bike outside in the same place on a main road night after night in a busy town, as it won't stop them taking the wheel off and wheeling the bike away or dragging it into the back of a van.

I'd be looking at something to chain the bike to like a lamp post or ground anchor, and put a big fat almax chain through the frame into it (then don't leave the lock fastened up outside when you're away or it may be be interferred with while you're not there - have heard stories of them supergluing locks etc.).

If you use only a disk lock, I'd perhaps look at fitting an alarm too if you don't already have one, then at least there's a chance it'll make a noise and deter them or alert you if it goes off (you can pick up a cheap one for £30ish and fit yourself easily in a few minutes - won't get you a discount on your insurance but might at least be a little extra peace of mind however small).

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
there's no access to the new house(we're up a steep hill with only a path going up to it)
Get some TKC80's on it and ride it up :thumb:

Failing that, as others have said, lock it to something large and immovable with a decent lock (Almax :thumbright:). As for an alarm, get a paging alarm that lets you know when your bike's being interfered with. Nobody else will pay any attention to your bike alarm other than to consider reporting it as a noise nuisance - and the thieves know that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts