1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original post by MarkH.
Preserved here for posterity. :mrgreen:

markh said:
Whee, the Varioscreen arrived! More later...
Right, the verdict...

The screen is extremely well-constructed and it arrives well-packaged by the factory. The movable top section has a slight flip to it and both pieces are contoured in mysterious ways that have presumably been designed for optimal performance. The package contained an extra piece to block up the air intake on the fairing just below the standard screen, which I felt was nice attention to detail. This piece was labelled '1996-', which suggests it's the only difference from the pre-1996 version of the screen (not sure about this, so don't take my word for it). This piece also isn't quite a robust as the rest of the screen, and could potentially be damaged during fitting.

The screen is two basic pieces, joined by a pair of plastic rails and two screws. The rudimentary diagram doesn't show the correct orientation of these rails, which are not symmetrical, but perhaps it's of no consequence as the difference is small. Once the screen is assembled, fitting is a matter of removing the six screws from the old screen, transferring the four rubber well-mount fittings to the new screen and screwing it on in place of the old. Actually this is tricky because the rubber things will undoubtedly be deformed and possibly hardened, dependind on age, and the middle two need to pass through tight-fitting holes in the aforementioned air-intake occluder. This is where you might damage the piece, which is made of clear plastic of more or less yoghurt-carton thickness. I played it safe and went to Halfords to buy some new mounts. I also found the screen to be a tight fit at the rightmost screw (which attaches to a metal strut on the fairing carrier) and I had to force things to get the screw to go in. I'm not sure why this should be, and perhaps something needs realigning inside my fairing. Not sure if this is connected, but the right-hand mirror stem just contacts the screen and displaces it by about a centimetre on full left lock.

Now for a test ride! On the lowest setting the screen is a smidgin taller than the standard screen with a Touratech spoiler fitted - i.e. it's significantly taller than the standard screen. On the move, and wearing an Arai SZ-B open-face lid, things were fantastic with no significant buffeting right up to 60-ish with the visor up. Faster than that it's a little bit noisy, but with the visor down things are very good indeed. There is little to no buffeting around the head, and the only significant wind pressure is on the outside of my shoulders. There are no discernible 'suction' effects either, and with the visor down things are very calm if never actually quiet.

Adjustment is via a pair of knurled wheels that don't need tools and are big enough to tighten and loosen with gloves on. Once loosened, the screen can be slid up and down (note - not designed to be adjustable on the move). With the screen in the uppermost position, the experience is essentially as described but just more so. Unlike the Touratech spoiler, which takes the brute force 'barn door' approach and consequently introduces nasty wake effects at varying speeds and settings, the Varioscreen seems to provide a smooth and progressive adjustment that preserves the aerodynamic performance at all settings. I imagine it's creating a smooth pocket that the adjustment simply squeezes and deforms within the usual performance envelope of the AT - at least up to 80mph (expert rider, closed roads :).

And so to the Roof. I tried all the same stuff, and it is a lot better than the old configuration but still noisy. With the visor down it's less noisy but still noisy. In full 'jet fighter mode' it's clearly a very aerodynamic configuration because I zipped up to 80 in a place where I normally see 70 before having to slow down, but it's still not quiet or even calm. There's no significant buffeting, but there's something about the helmet in any configuration that makes it noisy.

And that's it. The screen is a very good buy and in my recollection is comparable to an R1150GS, which I have not owned but which I have test-ridden on the motorway. It's way better than the standard screen and much more consistently smooth than the Touratech dongle, which is more of a compromise solution. Definitely recommended.

(Anyone want to buy a Roof?)

[Later...]

Some pix. I chose the 'smoked' colour, rather than 'clear'. (Note, I have not yet fitted the rubber beading which is supplied for the top section.)

First two at maximum height:

Then at minimum height:

Max height from the cockpit side:

Here's a view of the curvature of the screen. Note the large air intake gap between the two parts of the screen (minimum height shown):

This is the 'fragile' piece shown in situ blocking the original air intake:

And finally, a close-up of one of the adjusters:

[Later]
Just retrieved this from a private message I sent to someone a few days later...

"Hi, I bought it from 'P&P Seating' in Birmingham for £99 + £6.95 shipping. Their phone number is 0121 784 4001, URL www.ppseat.co.uk. Good service - they said they'd have to order it in but it came a week earlier than they said.

To update you on the review, I have now tried the screen out in different conditions. My original review was a bit 'ecstatic' and based on the performance in calm evening air. It's not quite as ecstatic riding down the M1 on a blustery day or in the rain - you'd still want to wear earplugs for long hauls - but it's a fine screen and highly recommended."

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Own up then...... whos been talking to HPS the importer of the MRA screens?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Guilty, me gob just ran away with me! :oops:

Hey you all get 10% off a new screen, now that can't be bad, :D
( Actually you lot are getting a better deal than me, got free post tho for dobbing on the XRV org, and me screen arrives Tuesday :wink: )

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes very well done and thank you for that on behalf of all the members.
Much appreciated. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey no probs, Did Nigel say it was only for AT boys cos they do a screen for Varo's as well (might be wurth posting on there page too?) :D

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right here's the details of the discount:

A member of your group brought my attention to the article in your forum about the MRA screen. As the importer for MRA screens in the UK we would like to offer a 10% discount to any of your members who mention XRV.ORG when ordering.
Screens currently available are the VarioTouring Screen for 1990-1992 models at a list price of £85.09, and the Vario Screen for 1996> at £106.38. Prices include VAT plus carriage ( £8.22 UK mainland). Screens are available in Light Grey Smoke.
I hope this is of interest to you and your members.
Kind regards, Nigel Swaby, Sales.
Further clarification:
You can order either by the web site OR by phone.

Please ask your members to quote “XRV.ORG 10% discount” when ordering – this must be mentioned when ordering as no refunds can be offered once the order is processed.

If ordering via the web site then ask your members to quote “XRV.ORG 10% discount” in the comment field. The computer will list the screen at full price but when our sales team come to put the order on the system, they will see this and award the discount.
http://www.bikehps.com/mra/

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've just been asked by HPS to say that the discount applies before P&P and not after.
So its only on the goods.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
One of my fasteners worked itself loose which meant I had to replace one of the bolts, a washer and the fasteners. Unfortunately they don't sell them separately but only as a kit which meant I had to buy an "adjusting set". This worked out at an eye-watering £18.53! That's almost half of what you pay for some aftermarket screens. Not impressed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Dave

Are you still pleased with your Vario screen? I have used the original @ screen and a taller powerbronze on my bike and it sounds from your article that the Vario will be a great improvement on both. I thought I would check to see if you are still pleased before I buy one.

Many thanks Rob

·
Frodo's Half brother
1,215 Posts
Hello!

I've been using mine in all sorts of conditions and I'm happy with it. It's fine on motorways although still noisey. Urban / local stuff its fine - Easy to adjust so all in all I'm pleased.

I've had mine sice the start of the year so Its had a fair few miles of use.

S

·
0 Posts
re: Discount - HPS & MRA Vario Screen

performance wise, what is the difference between the 2 screens as there is almost £20 between them?

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts

id be interested if anyone has a vario screen on a varadero and what they think of it?

i got an MRA flip screen from HPS for my triumph a while ago, took 10 weeks to come but thats nothing to do with HPS, i ordered a tinted one and MRA in germany had none in stock, they only make them in batches. i badgered MRA and got a very nice email from "Herr Direktor" and they made me one special. good customer service, and the quality of the kit was good too.
one thing, i dont like that crappy screen trim you get on every screen in the world, if you steal the wifes nail fine emery board, carefully smooth out the edge of the screen then polish it with some v.fine, 800grit or so, paper, you will stop it cracking and you dont need the trim. sell it on ebay, some idiot gave me £8 for it!

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts

id be interested if anyone has a vario screen on a varadero and what they think of it?
try here http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=30094
Oh, and the discount procedure in this thread does work too.

This is what I had to say....

I have now tried 4 different screen on my varadero:

When I bought it it had a big Givi screen on it - ace for protection but noisy and with no air in my face caused visor fogging. Also a bit of helmet vibration at 80+ - enough to effect my sight. Also made the bike feel even BIGGER than it is. All in all not good.

Replaced with the standard screen - still noisy, less protection, but no fogging and in rain the droplets were blown straight down my visor (good). Still some helmet vibration.

Seriously cut-down screen (about as low as the clock surround) kindly supplied by Mr Chad. Much much quieter - about the same as my TA. Not as good for protection but a good trade for the reduced noise - but TBH I don't mind the slightly exposed effect at least you know you are on a bike - helps me judge speed anyway. Only downside was peculiar buffetting with a pillion when my helmet would suddenly be pulled from one side to the other, mainly in cross winds or near lorries/coaches etc.

Then curiousity got to me. I read so much about how good MRA Sports -Touring varios are I just had to try, in particular to try and deal with the pillion buffetting . After missing a couple on ebay by a couple of quid each time, I decided to buy a brand new one. Fitted this week:razz: but only after destroying one of the well nuts it fits to:rolleyes:. This is the best compromise, not much noisier than the cut down screen but plenty of protection, and easy to see over. Haven't tried with a pillion yet but I reckon it'll be OK. Currently fitted in the low position with the spolier on low. I tried the spoiler on high but soon stopped and put it back to low - noisy and vibey. But, I reckon with the screen in the high position plus the spoiler on high the air flow might totally clear my helmet - which would make for a very quiet ride - on the other hand it might be awful - noisy, stuffy and buffetting. Will need to wait 'til I get some new well nuts to try it out though.

If anyone wants the big Givi screen I will sell - make me an offer, but P&P will be extra. From memory its still in very good condition with no scratches. Photo's provided if required. I am hanging on to all the other screens so I can keep experimenting.

Oh, and despite all the changes I still think the Vara is very noisy bike and I now wear ear plugs all the time.

and another oh, I reckon one of those spoilers that a S AFrican is flogging on ebay fitted onto a standard screen would have a very simlar effect to the MRA screen, at a slightly lower cost. But, the MRA screen is very well made.

And having now put about 2,000 miles on the bike with MRA screen my opinion has if anything gone up. ertainly my TA now feels like a nosiy, draughty, buffety place compared to the Vara, wheras itused to be the other way round. I think they are excellent value for the benefit you get:thumbright:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We recently had a wobble with the discount not working or being dropped off.
The discount for our members has been put back in place... here are the details:
If your forum members enter “XRV.ORG 10% discount” when ordering on the web, or mention it at the time when ordering by the phone it should be honoured.

If any of your members have been refused this or the discount has not been added, please ask them to contact myself by email, or by phone on 01773 831122.

Best regards

Pete Clay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts