Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a trip to Scotland recently on my 96 TA and set fire to my soft panniers - of course, the things had slipped against the exhaust despite my best efforts top keep them clear. Molten plastic and flames ensued on the hard shoulder of the M74, but thank God for bungees, and I left my smoldering RH pannier in the bushes.

For this and other reasons, my thoughts were to getting hold of some hard pannies aka Metal Mules/Givi or similar, but then as I would only use them about once a year, such huge expense hardly seems justified.

As such, has anyone has a go at making some DIY panniers which would do the job of an annual road trip - no offroading. I was thinking along the lines of 6/12mm marine ply for ease of construction. Basically there would be a flat base on the pillion seat (flat base for a roll bag too) with the top of each pannier box as it were coming off each end of this base. They would be kept clear of the exhaust by threaded bar coming from the two holes in the rear rack and another bracing strut connecting base of the two panniers. Simple hinged lids for each.

Thoughts/comments

·
Seignior Member
208 Posts
[/ATTACH]
I made these prototypes over christmas from a sheet of 1mm alloy. I didnt think the alloy would be strong enough to cope but by the time they were folded, riveted together and braced they were more than strong enough. I used some 40mm angle to reinforce the lids and the handles and clasps came from B&Q. The lids lift off and are held in place by a simple locating pin through the lip of the lid at the back and clasp at the front.Total cost was about £40 for the pair and they took about 2 days, 40 **** and 10 coffees to make. I'm gonne try some 2mm sheet alloy for the next pair but the 1mm has worked surprisingly well.

G

·
[/ATTACH]
I made these prototypes over christmas from a sheet of 1mm alloy. I didnt think the alloy would be strong enough to cope but by the time they were folded, riveted together and braced they were more than strong enough. I used some 40mm angle to reinforce the lids and the handles and clasps came from B&Q. The lids lift off and are held in place by a simple locating pin through the lip of the lid at the back and clasp at the front.Total cost was about £40 for the pair and they took about 2 days, 40 **** and 10 coffees to make. I'm gonne try some 2mm sheet alloy for the next pair but the 1mm has worked surprisingly well.

I take back what i said in another post today. Those are brill! Once you get them sorted and fitting big Pauls bike then if you can make another pair for my brother and i'll give you money for them.:cheers:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Truly excellent job - I gues you are used to working with alloy if you own Landies... May I ask how they are fitted to the bike?

·
Seignior Member
208 Posts
View attachment 1060
They simply slide on and are bolted through the rack frame with a single bolt. Not exactly quick release but simply lift the lid, undo a bolt and they come off. Bear in mind the rack is home made also so everything is kinda made to measure (or made up more like!) View attachment 1061

·
Seignior Member
208 Posts
I take back what i said in another post today. Those are brill! Once you get them sorted and fitting big Pauls bike then if you can make another pair for my brother and i'll give you money for them.:cheers:
I'm trying to get a 2nd hand folding machine from work and I'll make the set for Pheonix and your bro. The one thing I had to do is line them on the inside with thin foam (camping carry mat) to cover rivets because they're single skinned but it works a treat.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Wee Bro. just out of interest for you.
You are aload to have a "Hobbie" that alows you to earn upto £5000 tax free.

WeeBro Panniers PLC......

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
I wish i could do stuff like this:rolleyes::cool::cool::cool:
but that would take all the fun out of my stealth buying,stupid explanations when caught and feeble promises to neverever spent so much on "rubbish" again:D:D

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
Hey wee bro how about a how to?

did you take photos whilst you were making them?

where d'ya get all the stuff?

what colour carrymat did you use to line them?

are these questions getting annoying yet?

sorry!:D

·
Seignior Member
208 Posts
Oh god no!! I have'nt even started on the cigarette lighter sockets and stop & tail lights yet!!!

DONT ENCOURAGE ME for f**ks sake!!!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Took a trip to Scotland recently on my 96 TA and set fire to my soft panniers - of course, the things had slipped against the exhaust despite my best efforts top keep them clear. Molten plastic and flames ensued on the hard shoulder of the M74, but thank God for bungees, and I left my smoldering RH pannier in the bushes.

For this and other reasons, my thoughts were to getting hold of some hard pannies aka Metal Mules/Givi or similar, but then as I would only use them about once a year, such huge expense hardly seems justified.

As such, has anyone has a go at making some DIY panniers which would do the job of an annual road trip - no offroading. I was thinking along the lines of 6/12mm marine ply for ease of construction. Basically there would be a flat base on the pillion seat (flat base for a roll bag too) with the top of each pannier box as it were coming off each end of this base. They would be kept clear of the exhaust by threaded bar coming from the two holes in the rear rack and another bracing strut connecting base of the two panniers. Simple hinged lids for each.

Thoughts/comments
Hi Oggy
Just been looking at the panniers Wee Bro has made they look superb,
Iv'e just been trying to upload some pic's of my own (don't know if Iv'e made it work)
I made some racks to carry soft throwover panniers, I just cut the velcro off to mount them on hooks. ---------------- Chris

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey Wee Bro

Brilliant!:thumbup:

I'm off to ask Ma if she had a fling with the Rag & Bone Man - cos I canny make f all!:D:D:D:D:D

Big Bro

1 - 15 of 15 Posts