Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I removed the front sprocket to check for the dreaded wear on the output shaft splines, etc. as I was bored at the weekend!!

There is no/very little wear on the output shaft and the sprocket but it did look dry with a little rust between the output shaft and the sprocket.

The Haynes manual makes no mention of lightly greasing the sprocket on reassembly, but I am in 2 minds if to grease it or not, 1/2 of me thinks greasing it lightly would minimise any chance of wear, whilst the other half of me thinks greasing it would attract dirt which would cause wear!!

Your views/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Grant

L

·
0 Posts
It'll get covered in chain lube anyway... Only reason to grease it would be if it was a tight fit as it would make it easier to put on

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It does not need greasing and as Kymmy says it will get covered in chain lube as time goes on.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Maybe not , just changed the front sprocket on the Alp and thats the same thought I went through. The casesaver was thick with old lube.. tumps of the gooey stuff but the shaft was dry as a bone so the new sprocket went on with a smear of fresh grease around the splines . The case saver/ sproket guard will keep out the crap and a clean out now and again will help:cool:

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
I always apply a little copper grease to mine,always have done, nothing worse than a sprocket that won't go on as it is supposed to, and when you have to force one off because it has rust welded itself on the shaft you always curse not having put any on the last time it was off. It's also a rust preventative and I swear it acts as a little bit of a spline saver.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I always use a smear of grease on the splines to stop them rusting. Chain lube won't reach the splines because it gets flung outwards away from the centre of the sprocket. If the mating surfaces go dry, they corrode. That makes the surfaces rough on a microscopic scale which accelerates the shaft and sprocket wear.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Thanks for the advice..I think i will put it back on with a smear of grease and routinely keep the splines clean to minimise wear.

Thanks again

Grant

1 - 7 of 7 Posts