Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the good advice from Whealie, I eventually booked my two boys aged 12 and 9 on a day out at the above. Chris, I have but two words for you....THANK YOU!!!! What a brilliant afternoon. I was so impressed with both lads that I was almost in tears. Leonardo was given a 75cc Honda with semiautomatic gearbox (no clutch to worry about) and Franco was given a yam with all the trimmings (gears, clutch and all). Funnies part was Leonardo revving the bike really high and thene accidentally kicking it into gear......360 degree flip for bike and rider wwith a perfect landing in the deepest mud swamp on the whole track!! The boy loved it!

Had them properly kitted up and briefed by Chris (from the club and he was superb in giving the boys the basic instructions and bags loads of confidence). I never thought they could ride solo that quickly, within the first 15/20 minutes, they were both lapping on the (very muddy) warm-up track. They even managed to move onto a different part of the track with a few more bumps and potholes.

When they eventually managed to stand briefly on the pegs in the straight, I was really impressed! Many thanks to both our and Docklands Riders' Chris's again!!!! :thumbup:
When your son turns around and tells you that you have just given them the best day of his life, you know you have done something right.

For others who might be interested, keep an eye on the website for future dates. The session costs £ 60 but that gives them kit, bike, petrol, instructions and 3 hours session. Imho not a bad price.....
Working on some pictures......

IMG-20121030-00115.jpg
IMG-20121030-00117.jpg IMG-20121030-00121.jpg Me and the champs.jpg IMG-20121030-00116.jpg IMG-20121030-00120.jpg IMG-20121030-00118.jpg Need a bigger one.jpg

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Let me find out if the XR with standard tyres will be allowed on there and we can let the kids rip on that on Sundays.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Just looked on eBay and could get a spare set of wheels for about £100, then there'd be tyres and tubes....

Don't tell my wife I'm even considering this:D

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Brilliant, fantastic to see them enjoying themselves like that :thumbup:

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,039 Posts
I think it's the same place that used to teach adults, I went in the late 90s with 3 friends. I had a brilliant time, one of my my mates broke his wrist, although he didn't realise at the time. They even had a portacabin with a big window facing the track so my girlfriend and son could watch from the warm and dry as I fell off repeatedly.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they still do adult courses/lessons on a 1-2-1 basis. Not sure about the price, I think it is about £50 an hour.....

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,039 Posts
they still do adult courses/lessons on a 1-2-1 basis. Not sure about the price, I think it is about £50 an hour.....
Must be the same place. I've looked on line for them and couldn't find it so assumed it was long gone. Industrial estate in Royal Victoria dock area?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,039 Posts
That's the place. The name has changed. I have only thisfar off picture of me being told off by one of the instructors for not giving the table top enough gusto.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nice pic! wish I could do that!

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,039 Posts
nice pic! wish I could do that!
We started on a Honda CR125, a Suzuki RM125 and a Kawasaki 125, all with their throttles pinned to prevent looping. That bike is some sort of Husky 500 2 stroke. I am only on it because my mate was complaining his wrist hurt (due to the break he didn't know he had) and he said to try his bike out. I discovered very quickly that the brakes did very little, filled my trousers on the first bend.

The instructors were very very good, I learnt a lot of useful stuff, I'd recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Let me find out if the XR with standard tyres will be allowed on there and we can let the kids rip on that on Sundays.
maybe we should take the old zebra there :)

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We started on a Honda CR125, a Suzuki RM125 and a Kawasaki 125, all with their throttles pinned to prevent looping. That bike is some sort of Husky 500 2 stroke. I am only on it because my mate was complaining his wrist hurt (due to the break he didn't know he had) and he said to try his bike out. I discovered very quickly that the brakes did very little, filled my trousers on the first bend.

The instructors were very very good, I learnt a lot of useful stuff, I'd recommend it to anyone.
I showed Chris (from the Club) the thread and he rekons he was already working there at the time of your photo! He is the only staff left at the track from those days....

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,039 Posts
I showed Chris (from the Club) the thread and he rekons he was already working there at the time of your photo! He is the only staff left at the track from those days....
I remember a male and a female instructor. It was the lady telling me off for being a big girl's blouse!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts