·
vodka tester
476 Posts
looks like an RD04 to me.....

Roy

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
looks like an RD03 to me (an RD04 owner). Suspect a 650 engine.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
It's an RD03 with a 650 engine (standard) the pots are too short to be a 750, looks like a ringer, someone has taken the plate off a scrapped RD04 and put them on a stolen RD03 :shock:

·
Registered
57 Posts
bike is an RD03 and is 650, Matt just made a genuine error and will be corrected asap...

as i understand it's 750 on the logbook but a 650 by engine number and Matt just took asper logbook the details (bike is an import)... easily done.

we did a quick Q&A on the page which should explain the situation...

Matt thanks everyone for spotting the mistake.

the issue of it having an RD04 vin plate is in need of investigation thats for sure, probably a rebuild?, would it have been given the plate on import if the numbers were stolen?... question questions... i like a good mystery :lol:

G

·
Oxbone said:
Should we notify Ebay admins?
Or perhaps DOT
I think that would be a good idea, cause any of us here would hate to spend a lot of money on something to then find its a ringer. If we're wrong then thats ok, but better to be wrong than right and not say anything.

·
aka Oxbone :)
1,514 Posts
Q: hi, nice bike but can you confirm thats its a 750 and not a 650 as the spec is an RD03 and not a RD04? Front brakes are also not right for the build year has the bike had a front end smash?
20-Oct-06
A: You are correct. I have just checked the markings on the actual engine rather than the serial-plate and it's a 650cc. As mentioned, the bike has not been involved in any unintentional antics. Please note the VIN (plate and headstock) and engine numbers match. Just to reiterate: this is an RD03 spec with a 650cc engine. I hope that helps and thanks for the heads-up. Regards Matt

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jennababes said:
bike is an RD03 and is 650, Matt just made a genuine error and will be corrected asap...

as i understand it's 750 on the logbook but a 650 by engine number and Matt just took asper logbook the details (bike is an import)... easily done.

we did a quick Q&A on the page which should explain the situation...

Matt thanks everyone for spotting the mistake.

the issue of it having an RD04 vin plate is in need of investigation thats for sure, probably a rebuild?, would it have been given the plate on import if the numbers were stolen?... question questions... i like a good mystery :lol:
Is the seller a mate of yours?

The plate does look like it's been tampered with in the photos. I can't think of any legit reasons to change a VIN plate. Any bike where it is not possible to prove the age would be given a Q plate. The VIN plate is fitted by the manufacturers.

Not saying the current seller is dodgy, but the bike would appear to have a dodgy past.

·
Registered
57 Posts
guy is no connection to me in any way, but we have been looking for an AT/TA and I dont like being fleeced as much as anyone, however rather than hang draw and quater i like to ask questions first..lol

People in here are a little more clued up than most on these bikes so I asked the question, at the end of the day the guy would have to be a moron to try and flog such a reconasiable bike with such a big discrepancy in its build and think nobody would notice! (err think of a bank robber in stripey jumper claiming to be ronnie biggs at the reception of New Scotland Yard here :shock:... not going to happen i think!)

My Cagiva when imported was checked out throughly by the DVLA before they issued new plates so I think the chances of it being a stolen bike is low, but as half the members in here can testify rebuilding into a new frame is not exactly rocket science, and with the limited number of RD03 frames kicking arround the RD04 subsitute makes sence?... but its also possible that it could desguise a stolen RD03 that is also to be considered for sure.

The bike looks to good to be true for its age, again pointers its been rebuilt at some stage?
As for Vin plate rivits, well anybody thats reprayed a frame will have removed the vin plate so that wouldnt worry me personally.

anybody know what the legal status of the bike actually is as its obviously not whats on the logbook?... if it is stolen how can the real identity be found, and if it can who is the legal owner?... there also has to implications on insurence, as its an RD04 650cc in effect which was never a production bike?

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Jenna
the bike looks to be a bad idea, not saying the guy who's selling it knew it was stolen, but like PH I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, with all the inconsistencies and his obvious lack of knowledge of this bike I reckon he's been done over on this, It's a wrong 'un and if you buy it you run the risk of being done for receiving.

·
Registered
57 Posts
even with a chequered history the bike will sell for more than we are looking to pay if i am honest and is to good to canibalise thats for sure. :twisted:

One other point is that there were some RD04 650cc bikes built by Honda apparently in the crossover between RD03 and RD04, anybody know anything about the specs?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts