Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
may need to get from Dorset to Skye and wont be able to go by bike.
any flights to Skye?
if not which is the nearest airport?
cant do train either as too slow/expensive

·
Deer Dodger
3,199 Posts
The airfield at Broadford is still running but not used a lot :confused:, small planes only.

Best bet is to go to Inverness, hop on a bus, around 2 hrs from Invss to Broadford. Train to Kyle is a good route, very scenic, then bus it to Skye,20 mins to Broadford.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The airfield at Broadford is still running but not used a lot :confused:, small planes only.

Best bet is to go to Inverness, hop on a bus, around 2 hrs from Invss to Broadford. Train to Kyle is a good route, very scenic, then bus it to Skye,20 mins to Broadford.

Hope this helps
i knew there would be a way to do it! time to look at maps,have a think and see what tickets would cost.
transport home would be sorted its just the one-way journey there which is a bit of a problem.

·
Austin's Son
190 Posts
I did the Inverness to Kyle train route (we actually got off at Plockton) and can recommend it, the train was very quiet and there was stunning views all the way along it (well once you get out of Inverness). There was one station where the platform was only big enough for 1 door on 1 carriage to open, which made me laugh. The train at Inverness even waited for our train Glasgow because it was running late, seems like good service to me!

I have also done the bus from Kyle to Portree, we had planned to take one of the coach buses operated by Citylink, however getting a ticket on the day cost an arm and a leg, even the driver of that bus told us to wait for a service bus as there where much cheaper. I can't remember the exact prices now, but we changed at Broadford...

If you booked the citylink buses in advance they might prove cheaper than the service buses and you could probably get the bus straight from Inverness to Portree, however I'd pay extra to use the train because it was such a nice journey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts