Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I bought an old RD07 yesterday (1993) and I recorded a video with the engine running just a second after it started for the first time in half a year:
YouTube - Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin Engine Sound

Does this engine sound good? I heard some slight valve ticking, is that an easy adjustment/fix?

Thanks!

-Andreas

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Mine sounds like that - perhaps not so loud though, and goes away when fully warm. Mine does have 95,000 miles on the clock though. Does yours disapear when fully warmed up?

That's a very nice bike though...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine sounds like that - perhaps not so loud though, and goes away when fully warm. Mine does have 95,000 miles on the clock though. Does yours disapear when fully warmed up?
I don't really know -- the few seconds of engine you see there is just about as much as I have seen it run (the tank was empty). I will get a three month warranty though, in case the engine needs fixin.

That's a very nice bike though...
Yeah :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could it be an exhaust leak? Kinda sounds like that now that I think about it.

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
Yes it could - either from one of the header pipes or from the union between the silencer and link between the two headers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I always thought v-twins were supposed to sound a bit lumpy. Mine perhaps isn't as noisy, but it still clunks about a bit.

·
Registered
470 Posts
GOD!

That's a BIT too noisy... Valve gaps or timing chain.

If you rev it and the ticking goes away, it's valve adjustment (cheap) , if the ticking stays while you rev it, it's timing chain tensioners (expensive).

I dont want to point you in the wrong direction, but that's what it sounds like to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts