Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
For 1995 models onwards (ones with silver end-cans): the VIN (vehicle identification number) starts with ZDC.... then some letters and numbers. The first 8 are of any relevance:

If it is ZDCRD08A, it was produced as a standard version.
If it is ZDCRD08B, it was produced as a 33-hp limited version.

Limitations allow various high-capacity or high-power bikes to fit lower insurance or legal thresholds. On dommies, limitations are removable.

In Romania, the vehicles ID card lists max HP for the model (it does so in kW). 33hp means 25kW. If you have that on your card, then it's a limited model. If you have ~33kW, it's the regular, no limitations model.

There is no obvious modification that one can spot on the outside. I know for a fact of only one difference: a restrictive intake manifold -- there's probably different jetting and advance settings, too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i have a sinking feeling lol

mr frame number starts with ZDCRDB

however having had the bike in bits i havent seen any restrictions in the rubber intake manifold...

ive got the carb out at the moment ...does anyone know what standard jet sizes are ?

i live very close to sea level anyone have a good idea what to jet too ?

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
For NX650 S,T,V,W,X (95 - 2000):
* Venturi diam. - 39.5mm
* Main jet - # 145
* Idle jet - # 50
* Float level - 18.5mm

Taken directly from datasheet. Mind you, I've no idea if they're the same for limited/non-limited bikes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
For NX650 S,T,V,W,X (95 - 2000):
* Venturi diam. - 39.5mm
* Main jet - # 145
* Idle jet - # 50
* Float level - 18.5mm

Taken directly from datasheet. Mind you, I've no idea if they're the same for limited/non-limited bikes.
cheers switch ....

any ideas on what i could upgrade too ?

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Mine ('89 US model) came with #48 and #155, for what it's worth.

Switching to a #50 slow jet helped lots with the idle problems.

The flat torque line is not limited to the limited model anyway. Here's mine from years ago when I'd fitted the streetlegal Laser.

(And yes it's a bit low at 36.5 HP, but tyre choice does a lot in this and I had TKCs on :oops:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's limited?. It was less HP than I was expecting, I just thought it might be the claimed v rear-wheel difference.

It's a 1989 model, would the carb mods for later ones work?.

Thanks.

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
It's MUCH too flat to be realistic. This looks more like the graph of rpm over time with a rev-limiter kicking in.

What tipped me off about the limitation was exactly the flatness. Not normal for full-fledged dommies, but expectable on bikes with limitations (never did see a limited dommie on a dyno, but I know how F650s look with and without limitations).

As a big single, the dommie should have a very pronounced hump of a torque curve, almost sine-like, with an apex at ~5000 rpm. Defenetly not a flat +95% max torque from 3000 all the way to 5000 rpm.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
I think this is fairly typical for a mildly tuned big single, google for some other examples such as Kawa KLR.

The hump becomes more pronounced once you get more power from the engine, but still markedly flatter on the left side. Such as this, on a KTM Duke:

Riding characteristic of the dommie tells me pretty much the same thing, below 3000 there's not much going on, then it'll chug along anywhere in the 3000-5000 rpm band, above that the power (what little it has) starts to kick in.

I haven't seen much proof of a rev limiter on the dommie anyway, it'll rev to the end of the scale at 8000 if you let it.

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
Damnit. No wonder I found the F800GS so damn similar except for 2x the HP.

I still think dommies put out wierd graphs on the dyno. Flasto :cyclopsani:

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
Check the VIN ;) Best way to tell.

EDIT: I realized I never posted any info about RD02 limited models. Unsure if there ARE any RD02 89 models with limitations from the factory.

Still, those 33hp are pretty dead on...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts