Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys as the title says bike won,t run. starts fine but as soon as i engage 1st gear the engine cuts out. the light goes on and off when you raise and lower the side stand ok. tried all combinations of starting but just cuts out when i put it into gear. any ideas guys please.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just had another look. linked out the side stand switch and the clutch switch. but still cuts out when i put her into gear....ahhhh you should be able to start with the side stand down in gear with the clutch pulled in ??? but it wont there must be a switch somewhere that tells the ignition it is in gear but i cant find it.... is it in the engine ???? come on guys help me out please

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
there must be a switch somewhere that tells the ignition it is in gear but i cant find it.... is it in the engine ???? come on guys help me out please
The neutral switch does that job.

If the sidestand light works and the neutral light works but it still cuts out when put in gear, it sounds like there is a wiring fault. Your best bet is to work through a wiring diagram. There are also one or two diodes in the circuit. They generally don't die but everything's worth considering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alan
Thanks for your reply mate. found the switch behind the front sprocket cover. looks ok traced wires back to a plug under the seat, shorted out two of the wires and all works.. so looks like the switch at fault. apart from the obvious..will it be ok to leave the link in

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Alan
Thanks for your reply mate. found the switch behind the front sprocket cover. looks ok traced wires back to a plug under the seat, shorted out two of the wires and all works.. so looks like the switch at fault. apart from the obvious..will it be ok to leave the link in

Is it a small black plug with no wires connected to it? If so it is actually a diode for the safety circuit.

If it is the diode (like Africa Twins have) Wemoto sell new ones, although they confusingly refer to them as "rectifiers". There are 2 pin and 3 pin types available.

Honda XRV 750 L/M Africa Twin RD04 90-91 Rectifier Silicon Two Pin Replacement Motorcycle Parts at Wemoto

Bob :thumbup:

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
There's no such thing on dommies. And for a diode, it's stupidly expensive. Should be able to buy one for 0.02 - 0.05 pounds AT MOST.

The neutral switch is a bugger to replace or troubleshoot.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Not sure where they are on Dommies, they are very small and often hard to spot.

On AT RD04's they are on the wiring loom, on left hand frame rail, under the tank, so not easy to spot.

I had a faulty one on an AT (along with another in the fusebox) and it gave me a real runaround trying to suss out what was wrong.

Bob :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts