Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found these XR 600R/XR 650L exhaust headers on ebay and was wondering if anyone has tried them and are they worth putting onto my dommie.
I want to mate it up to a CRF 250R middle Y piece and decide which silencers to go for as I can afford them, probably dunstall replica :rolleyes:

I have seen a similar one in Germany which is more expensive ,is it worth the money and do I need to adjust the jetting on the carb and if I do, by how much.
Honda XR 600 R 650 L 1991 2009 Stainless Steel Down Header Exhaust Pipe | eBay

bikepics-2632398-full.jpg

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
XR600 should fit the dommie exhaust ports, the rest doesn't seem like much of a problem either for physical fit.

Yes you'll need to adjust jetting, and nobody can tell you in advance by how much or even in which direction, really. This will involve tuning and experimenting with different jets and needle positions and whatnots. It's a fiddly process that will take at least a few iterations, anything you change influences everything else. Easiest is to strap the thing on a dyno and have an expert help you with it.

Don't believe anyone who gives a specific answer about what jetting to use. Especially since you don't yet know what can you're going to strap on the end of it and don't even mention what you'll be doing to the air intake. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
After re-building my top end last year I noticed that the carb was running too rich so it needs to be done but our local bike shop owner happens to be the village idiot and wouldnt know what a dyno was if it landed on his head let alone know how to use one.
I dont fancy working outside on my terrace in the winter and my bars are too wide to get my bike through the door and into my livingroom/workshop:cussing::cussing::cussing:

My plan was to put the exhaust onto my flat tracker rolling chassis but I am still too far from completion so I just want to use my standard dommie for fun this year while I try and continue with my project until I am ready to take the engine out of my dommie and transfer it over.
Not the most logical way to go about it I know,but I knew this flattracker build would take a while due to funding or the lack of.:clown:

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Yes you'll need to adjust jetting, and nobody can tell you in advance by how much or even in which direction, really. This will involve tuning and experimenting with different jets and needle positions and whatnots. It's a fiddly process
Spoken from a man with an Airhead GS!

Changing jets on yours RC is a one second job, you know it takes seven men four days to remove the carb from a Dommie!;)

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
I know, I've done it on the dommie as well. Best time for carb out & in including tank and all, 45 mins. With a bit of practice... I think my first time was over 2 hours. Well, 2 days if you include the snapped off bolt and having to go out for extra tools because the sodding bottom center bolt under the manifold wasn't half stuck...

It's good for your vocabulary, this. :)

On the airhead it's still fiddly, just less actual spannering. The annoying thing is, say, you've got the main jet right, the needle seems to be OK, dyno'd and all, but it idles a bit weakly and there's a stutter just off idle. Which is fixed by fitting a slightly bigger idle jet. Which then messes up the needle range... Purely hypothetically and not at all what I've been messing with the past weekend you'll understand. :D

Unfortunately, it being easy or hard has no bearing on whether it needs doing. ;-)

Also, don't do this stuff with an old dirty airfilter on the bike. You will be cursing yourself. ;-)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know of anywhere these pipes are still for sale??
All the second hand ones on evilbay seem to be rusty
You wont find a shiny new one for sale second hand but there are a couple of them on ebay in Germany..
I bit of elbow grease and heat proof paint or exhaust wrap will take care of them if they look a bit iffy.

Honda XL600 R Auspuffkrümmer | eBay

You might find a new one in the states but import tax and postage will make i expensive..

·
Registered
315 Posts
has any one had any issues fitting the xl600r (pd03) headers to their Dommie?
Mine doesn’t seem to fit

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Im wondering if it’s the exhaust wrap making it seem a tighter fit??
Or are different years XL600r headers different??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts