Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I really need some help please.

I have a Honda Dominator 650cc 1990 with 69.323km. (rides ok)
I decided to replace the clutch it was near the limits.
I both on a Honda dealer original parts:
clutch friction plates (7) ref. 22201-MK2-000
clutch plates (6) ref. 22321-KA4-710
clutch spring (4) ref. 22401-MK2-003
clutch Bolt (4) ref. 92025060250A

What i did:
1 - I soak all the clutch and friction plates with new oil (Castrol Power 1 4T) before fitting.
2 - I fit all the Clutch plates and Friction plates randomly.
3 -I change the oil by new, but same brand and reference. (Castrol Power 1 4T SAE 10W-40; JASO MA2 (T903:2006); API SJ
4 - Before assembly the clutch cover i used the clutch lever 3 ou 4 times, everything seemed to be ok

Problem:
- Engine off, gear box works all ok, change gears its very precise and smooth, clutch lever very smooth also.
- Engine on, (bike stopped) on neutral, engaged first the gear, bike want to go forward, it seems clutch do not separate enough, or plates are glued. (pulling the clutch in and put it in first and the bike want to roll with the clutch pulled in. It is still engaged in the gear!)

- Engine on, (bike stopped) engaged 1ª gear its very precise and smooth (but she want to go forward, have to press front brake, as told)
Released clutch lever and she starts running forward, engaged Second, third, fourth and fifth, gear box precise and smooth (has use to be), but if i stop on a traffic light (bike stopped - engine running )with fifth gear engaged to back down till neutral and first gear...Jesus, very hard to change gear, almost impossible to reduce form 3ª to 2ª Gear, or neutral or 1ª, i have to reduce while bike its running, or stop the engine, reduce and restart the engine again.
I ran, about 60km in the city to seems not getting better.

A few years ago, i did this clutch replace before, on my old Xl 600 and Xr 600. (never had problems)
Do you have any idea what might causing this problem, have silver plates an install position?
( i have the workshop manual)

Thank you!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hmm, in the first instance have you adjusted the cable to allow for the new plates being physically thicker than the old ones? If you haven't the action of pulling in the lever will not disengage the clutch sufficiently and that would give the symptoms you describe (pulling forward even with the clutch lever pulled in).

If I understand your post correctly you're saying that you find it difficult to get from 5th down to 1st gear whilst stationary? In all my years of motorcycling I've never even attempted to get from 5th down to 1st whilst stationary and I'm very surprised you seem to have been managing to do that in the past!
The sequential gearbox of a motorcycle is not really designed to do that, you should gradually step down through the gears as you slow down, so that when you arrive at the lights you are already in 2nd and can then just snick it into neutral as you stop.

Reactions: alias

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Bobn,
First, thank you for the fast reply.
Yes i have adjust the clutch lever, its seems that pulling all the lever, its not enough to disengage the clutch
Sorry about this statement "difficult to get from 5th down to 1st gear whilst stationary" i wanted to say, when ridding on 5th gear, 80 or 90km, you find a small roundabout, you need to reduce gear box, i need to start reducing from 5th to 4th and 3th, all ok, if i go at 20km or less need to reduce again till 2th or neutral or 1th, here its the problem very hard, almost need to kick with my foot on the gear box pedal (with the clutch lever pulled in of course)
Resuming, I do as you say, gradually step down through the gears as you slowing down.
I mad because i already change clutch on my friends and mine bikes...and this never happen.
Only thing i found and went to the Honda Dealer, original Silver plates ref. 22321-MG3-000 and they replaced by this ref. 22321-KA4-710, but they say its the new reference.
May be wider than the old ones?
Well if this clutch do not have any top position, i already both a new cover gasket and will tear all apart again clean all the disks and plates and try to see if find something wrong, than i´ll let you know.

kind regards

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
first i want to thank you for all the support you gave me.
Now the important, i had conscience that did everything well and all the options you gave me, i followed during the assembly, so if the clutch and friction plates, had no "in" or "out" position (this it was my only doubt) the malfunction should came from another problem. what i did this time:
(Sorry for my English i´ll try to be simple)
1 - Removed only the clutch cover again and with engine stop.
2 - Engaged 1ª , pull in the lever clutch, and tried to move forward my dommie.
3 - The rear wheel was blocked, but after 3 or 4 pushes, it started to move forward, but always with difficulty.
4 - During this i looked at the clutch basket (all assembly yet) and noticed the silver plates (clutch plates) were not rotate freely and rights, the first two, the near to the pressure mainly. It seemed to have be bended!!!!!!
5 - Removed nuts, washer, springs, pressure plate, clutch and friction plates, putted all the clutch plates (silver one) on top of the mirror.
6 - Found Three bent clutch discs. (how and why do not know), the others were all scratched..
7 - I Talked to the dealer, (the set was ok for my dommie) said it probably was a defect during the assembly. (my fault).
8 - I told him i did all by the "book" (done this before) and add that when the seller lady gave me the parts , they were not properly protected, discs, springs, nuts, every part came inside an individual small honda bag without any kind of protection, on my point of view should came inside a box, because it's fragile (i have sure of this cause i took pictures when i bought the spare parts)
9 - So no more talking i went home and used the old clutch discs, because seemed to be good, no scratch or blue color, resuming, no visible damage, done as on point 2 and 3, dommie moved forward very good, i took i a ride with her, its as new again.
10 - Lesson, before buy something take a good care...
Once again, thank you to you all with your opinions it was more easy for me to find the problem.
Ps: I took pictures if anyone need.
Best regards
PL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Man i wreckon it is just a tight clutch and you should adjust it out and wear it in.
I had the exact same thing with a carbon clutch i put in me dommie and it was so tight i freaked and stripped it down again and ahhh **** it i just rode it in and she sweeet(false alarm) they just tight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Oilpond,

Thank you for the help.
Sorry to disappoint, but its was not so simple as you said, i wish..........the silver plates were bent, i already replace it, and its ok, if you provide me an email i´ll send you pictures to prove.

best regards
PL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts