Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering just how well the Dominator handles offroad? And if anyone uses one as a greenlaning bike?

Picked up a old beaten up bike that I am in the slow process of converting into a scrambler, but one that will actually cope with a bit of mud and green lanes. So just wondering how well they cope in the sticky stuff, big ruts etc. Im 6'6 and not the smallest so happy to have a big bike under me. Decided to keep the original rims as don't think 17" front would be much good offroad, which seems to be the standard scrambler/tracker route, and also don't want to loose ride height. Will also be building a custom under seat air box as I assume pod filters probably aren't the best being covered in mud and dust?!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Put proper off road tyres on it especially the front and ride it like a trials bike on the tricky stuff rather than an enduro bike and you'll be amazed where they go i tried to make mine into a xr650L and it works well

2013_0101rhayaderTRF0015-Copy.jpg

2013_0101rhayaderTRF0016-Copy.jpg

2013_0101rhayaderTRF0020-Copy.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know and great photos! Looking forward to getting it up and running. Any personal recommendations on the tyre front?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
My mate rides enduro and gives me his cast off's so whatever he gives me :D you want an enduro tyre on the front rather than adventure or trail tyre you can pick one up for about £30 so no worries about how long they last i got 2 wheels for the rear so i run one with a trail tyre for the summer and one with a dirt tyre for the winter but just remember the better they are off road the worse they are on road there is no magic tyre that can do both great, there's always a compromise somewhere :thumbup:
get some photos up

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've done some very light off-roading on my Dommie, nothing like the amazing stuff in 650 Fred's photos (respect, sir!), just a few local byways that tend to be dusty / muddy rather than properly rutted or waterlogged.

My bike has Conti Escape tyres on and they've seemed capable for the job. Otherwise mine is a completely standard road-going bike.

Reactions: 650 Fred

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done some very light off-roading on my Dommie, nothing like the amazing stuff in 650 Fred's photos (respect, sir!), just a few local byways that tend to be dusty / muddy rather than properly rutted or waterlogged.

My bike has Conti Escape tyres on and they've seemed capable for the job. Otherwise mine is a completely standard road-going bike.
They look good those tyres, will have to see how much on and off road the bike will actually do. Had some TKC80s on my DR350 and they coped with any lanes I attempted, but can't say I was doing extreme stuff, just pottering around really. Might end up getting a couple of sets of rims with different tyres.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts