Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Which dommie?

Acerbis in 3 flavours, the earliest one for '88-'90 being rare as, the other two ('91-'94 and '95-end) suspected of being the same model. ;-)

Otherwise probably anything from XL/XR can be bodged on, but will need mods to seat/fairing.

And there's always a can on the back rack, ofcourse. ;-)

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
I can tell because that's the shape I had, with that really pointy mountain up top that just won't take a tank bag. :)

This one is the early model for the 88-90 squarish dominator:

This one is for the later models, with the more rounded bodywork:

There's lots of people getting it wrong though, all over advrider. :mrgreen:

Here's a pic of mine pre-crash:

·
Registered
367 Posts
hi dommiejock, just a thought. a friend of mine did a week in morocco in oct, on an xr650 with an acerbis 23ltr tank. his comment on it was that the fuel tank had more range that he did! even in morocco he still had no problem getting petrol before anywhere near running out. mind you, if your trip will take you to the middle of nowhere and no petrol availble then it will be definitely be handy. good luck on the trip.

mark

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
That is probably true, and still, it does buy you peace of mind if you have some spare capacity.

I've done New Zealand on a DR650 with the stock 13l tank where some people said doing south island west coast was impossible with that little range. It wasn't nearly that bad, there were plenty of petrol stations if you stuck to the main roads, but at one point due to a slight miscalculation I made it to the next pump after doing 20 miles on reserve. That got a bit tense near the end... I had a 5l can on the back after that. Never actually needed it, but it is comforting to have.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I can tell because that's the shape I had, with that really pointy mountain up top that just won't take a tank bag. :)

This one is the early model for the 88-90 squarish dominator:

This one is for the later models, with the more rounded bodywork:

There's lots of people getting it wrong though, all over advrider. :mrgreen:

Here's a pic of mine pre-crash:
Apart from the shape of the top, are the two tanks the same where they mount onto the frame?
Can an early one be mounted on a 94 model, with or without the plastic bits n bobs?

·
Registered
742 Posts
No they are slightly different, in the mountings and the shape, I have one for the later RD02 and tried it on my 88 RD02 and it didn't fit the seat or the sidepanels.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
I seem to recall all tanks and frames being compatible, I think even across the RD02-RD08 divide, but it stops there. Seat and plastics are an entirely different matter.

Your 94 model is still an RD02 though so the frame will be exactly the same anyway, so yes that early tank will fit your 1994 frame. You will then need the early plastics/seat to have it all line up though. This too is possible, I once bought a set of early plastic off someone who had gone the other direction, fitted the 16l tank and plastics off the 1991-1994 RD02 model. It's just a lot of parts to ebay. ;-)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ta for all the replies. It's a 98 model. The option of taking a spare can on the back is easiest and it may come to that but luggage is also a consideration!

·
Registered
367 Posts
i've just remembered an idea of mine thats been in the back-boiler so to speak. i had an idea to try and use a petrol tank from one of those small generators as an emergency petrol reservoir. its not quite 5 ltrs but enough to get you somewhere. since its a bit flat i was thinking of putting it inside the perimeter of the left hand (no exhaust) soft luggage guards so i can still use soft luggage but the tank will be behind it, so to speak. not sure how yet but it could be connected to the main fuel pipe or just a remove and top-up container. if i ever get it done, i will post pics.

mark

tank (Medium).jpg

it could also be strapped on the rear rack for those long trips but not much luggage or i even thought about bolting it on top of my top-box for when i'm loaded but i didnt like the idea of that weight sloshing about on top of already a loaded up top-box.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts