Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy - here's hoping this is a simple one - last week I tried to start my 96 dominator, turned over healthily enough a few times, but instead of catching, it made a slightly more graunchy noise than normal. Since then I just get a loud click from behind the battery, which is new and fully charged.......anyone with any ideas before I start an inexpert stripdown? Ta

·
Registered
367 Posts
hi, souinds like a battery power (lack off) symptom. the graunchy noise could be the relay chattering then clicking because of the lack of oomph from the battery. even if its new, it wont take much to flatten it. dont keep trying with a flat battery. it will ruin the starter clutch. give the battery a charge or fit another good healthy one and try again. check the terminals and earth cable. make sure its earthing well. i wouldnt strip it down just yet! hope you get it sorted without too much aggro.

mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm, all I'm getting is a click, no other sounds of attempted activity, battery is at over 12v and all lights and horn work at the same time - it's not even trying to do anything, just this fat click each time the starter button is pressed. I'll go and try a bump start......

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'd try jump starting from a known good battery and then if problems still occur short out the solenoid contacts to check if the solenoid is at fault or not . Probably not the recommended way though!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Few years ago my bike had the same symptoms as yours.Try this,when you hear the click noise and nothing else happens select first gear in gearbox.Then without pressing lever clutch try to push the bike.After that try to start your engine.If it start up normally the problem must be your brushes at starting motor No5 at schematic Honda Nx650 Dominator 1995 European Direct Sales Starting Motor - schematic partsfiche
Here again Brush,terminal Se Nx650 Dominator 1995 European Direct Sales 31201KS5901
My mechanic replaced all the set Brush,holder Set Nx650 Dominator 1995 European Direct Sales 31206MN4008 and the problem solved.
I hope my (not so good)English helps you

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I think that's it - I bumped the bike with no problem and it fired up again soon after with the starter. Then left it a few days and it started easily again - so not the battery. Think something had sort of 'stuck' and if I get the same prob I'll just try and move the engine by pushing it, even a little.

I do wonder though if this means impending doom, hopefully just a starter motor brush problem at some time in the future......

Can't complain mind, it's 18 years old and had a hard life over its 45k km - I've done nowt in the last five years except fit a hagon and changed the oil and filter every few thousand km. Rear spokes a bit dull-sounding, clutch at the end of its travel, head-bearings at the end of their adjustment, but I'd still trust it more than my other bike, an Aprilia Falco, although that's not a bad bike either..... good old Honda!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd try jump starting from a known good battery and then if problems still occur short out the solenoid contacts to check if the solenoid is at fault or not . Probably not the recommended way though!
You mean putting eg a screwdriver over the solenoid terminals under the seat and then pressing the starter button?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Few years ago my bike had the same symptoms as yours.Try this,when you hear the click noise and nothing else happens select first gear in gearbox.Then without pressing lever clutch try to push the bike.After that try to start your engine.If it start up normally the problem must be your brushes at starting motor No5 at schematic Honda Nx650 Dominator 1995 European Direct Sales Starting Motor - schematic partsfiche
Here again Brush,terminal Se Nx650 Dominator 1995 European Direct Sales 31201KS5901
My mechanic replaced all the set Brush,holder Set Nx650 Dominator 1995 European Direct Sales 31206MN4008 and the problem solved.
I hope my (not so good)English helps you
Tried that, starter still just clicks.

Already replaced the battery and checked grounding and cables. Looked okay.
Not sure how to check the connector on the starter itself though.

Might the solenoid be faulty?
When I press and hold the starter button for a few seconds, solenoid kinda' "squeals".

Any hints appreciated.
Am getting tired of trying to kick this beast into life when the outside temp is -10 deg's C and the oil is like tar.
One thing's for sure, I do get a daily whole-body workout in the mornings... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
695 Posts
It's most likely to be the starter motor, they do fail.
Pull it and look at the brushes.
I had one fail on an SLR becuase the front bearing had gone, it was a special size but I managed to get a different size bearing to fit by building up the shaft with weld and turning it back down to size.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's most likely to be the starter motor, they do fail.
Pull it and look at the brushes.
I had one fail on an SLR becuase the front bearing had gone, it was a special size but I managed to get a different size bearing to fit by building up the shaft with weld and turning it back down to size.
Thanks.

Is this an easy thing, just unscrew, take it inside and have a look?

Can I drive the bike while the starter is off?

Problem is any fixes has to be done outside during the evening, as I depend on the bike for commuting, don't have any garage and wifey objects to pulling the Dommie inside into the hallway. Did it once, wasn't popular...

Edwin.i.hallen.jpg
My first winter commuter, a Honda XL600R-'82.

·
Registered
695 Posts
It's just two bolts on the right hand end of the starter and the electrical connection on the top.
You may or may not be able to get to it with the carb in place (I know you can on a Vigor but the carb goes off to the left on a Vigor and it's straight out on an NX).
You won't be able to use the bike with the starter removed as it will leave a hole where rain can get in and oil can get out.
If access is OK you can have it out, serviced and back in within an hour.
If bringing the bike into the hall is a problem, try the living room :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's just two bolts on the right hand end of the starter and the electrical connection on the top.
You may or may not be able to get to it with the carb in place (I know you can on a Vigor but the carb goes off to the left on a Vigor and it's straight out on an NX).
You won't be able to use the bike with the starter removed as it will leave a hole where rain can get in and oil can get out.
If access is OK you can have it out, serviced and back in within an hour.
Bummer.
So this is a common problem then?
Trying to figure out if I should order a completely new/used ebay-starter, or take a chance on buying only the brushes and possibly the brush holder.

(Used) starters suits all model years (1988-2001) for the NX650, right?

If bringing the bike into the hall is a problem, try the living room :thumbup:
Heh. Will try it on wifey. If you don't hear from me in a while, my interweb privilegies will have been withdrawn for a period. ;-)

·
Registered
942 Posts
It's probably nothing like the problem i had with my starter although the symptoms sound very similar,
the day i bought my bike the starter worked fine, after taking it for a spin i gave everything a check over, making sure nuts were tight etc,
next day just a click when i pressed the start button, tried hooking up to another battery and same result, shorted solenoid and still the starter wouldn't spin,
took the starter motor off and it would work fine when connected to power, put it back on and just a click,
thinking the gears between the starter motor and starter clutch could somehow be jammed i took the starter gear cover off , pressed the button and turned over no problem, refitted the cover and just a click ,
turned out the previous owner had replaced the thin washers on the starter gears with some that were slightly thicker and when i'd tightened all loose nuts and bolts the night before, they were loose on the starter gears cover, i'd clamped the starter gears solid , the starter motor couldn't budge them , thats why the previous owner had left the cover loose,
I doubt this is your problem but you never know it could be helpful to someone

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's probably nothing like the problem i had with my starter although the symptoms sound very similar,
the day i bought my bike the starter worked fine, after taking it for a spin i gave everything a check over, making sure nuts were tight etc,
next day just a click when i pressed the start button, tried hooking up to another battery and same result, shorted solenoid and still the starter wouldn't spin,
took the starter motor off and it would work fine when connected to power, put it back on and just a click,
thinking the gears between the starter motor and starter clutch could somehow be jammed i took the starter gear cover off , pressed the button and turned over no problem, refitted the cover and just a click ,
turned out the previous owner had replaced the thin washers on the starter gears with some that were slightly thicker and when i'd tightened all loose nuts and bolts the night before, they were loose on the starter gears cover, i'd clamped the starter gears solid , the starter motor couldn't budge them , thats why the previous owner had left the cover loose,
I doubt this is your problem but you never know it could be helpful to someone
Some problem!
Worth checking, thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Starter brushes are done. The starter click is from the starter relay. This Happend to me 3 months ago..
I'm starting to think this is it too.
Will order a brush and holder kit this evening.

My Dommie has about 65000 km on the odometer.
Do the brushes fail at any particular mileage, ie when is it common for it to happen?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm starting to think this is it too.
Will order a brush and holder kit this evening.

My Dommie has about 65000 km on the odometer.
Do the brushes fail at any particular mileage, ie when is it common for it to happen?
There is no particular mileage. Mine failed at 80000 km. I've replaced just the two brushes and put a new battery.

Just buy 2 brushes. No need to buy a holder.

Here:

https://www.motomike.eu/en/category/10300000000/vehicle/honda-nx-650:17889/article/355436/?sr=30

·
Registered
13 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts