Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few ideas on the go.. One is an undertail abomination that might make the die hards cringe.. but it would leave more than enough wheel clearance.

One thing that has struck me about the original exhaust system on the Dominator. You might have already come across this and spent a lot of time working it out:
The LEFT exhaust port's pipe ends up on the left of the bike making it a lot longer than the RIGHT exhaust port side that just nips up on the right making it just about the correct "tuned" length.
I refer to the sheet to work this out exhaust pipes <----click the link

My question is why the left side is so much longer than the right? Wouldn't this "unbalance" it? I plead ignorance here as I am only starting to read up on it. It seems that switching them over and therefore making the twin exhaust pipes both the same correct length, would be better?

Honda engineers know what they are doing, that's why I read up and ask before designing and building a set of pipes that in theory would be better but stuff it up in practice.

The sheet is telling me 62.8 inches (including the 4.1in from port to valve head) is the correct length for the
exhaust. Original pipes are therefore wonky :sad: Confused

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
There's no need for balance as it's a single cylinder bike. The point of having twin exhausts on this bike is purely looks and getting the gasses out quick.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's no need for balance as it's a single cylinder bike. The point of having twin exhausts on this bike is purely looks and getting the gasses out quick.
I see what you mean.

What worried me is that the one was a lot longer than the other with the longer bit being a lot longer than the ideal length that exhaust engineers talk about.
I was thinking about building a muffler box to go under the tail section and run the two pipes into it and out the back again. The thing that worried me was clearance for the wheel though I have read it only has 8 inches of travel. Whether that is true or not is another question.
Air cleaner box will remain standard as I don't like pods on any motorcycle. To neaten up the pipes going under the subframe I might re-route the rectifier to go under the tail as is with later model Dominators.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I taped two pringles tubs together and put them under the tail. Looks good and enough clearance to keep the rectifier and starter coil right where it is. 45º bend and a nice easy set of curved pipes all the way to the headers will do nicely. Going to use either two separate muffler tubes or a single flat sided oval for the pipes to run into under the tail. Latter might just be easier, quieter and look better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts