Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this XR650 wiring diagram the same as the RD02 Dominator.

WiringDiagram-1 (1).jpg

The guy who is doing my wiring up says he needs one in colour so he can see what goes where.
Sorry for still bugging you about electrics :thumbup:

·
Registered
215 Posts
It will be the same if he is building it from the original loom. It should only need minor modifications as you have relocated the battery, rectifier, indicators. The plug for the original tach/idiot light panel would have to be chopped off and made up to fit the digital unit you have on there.

Here is the original layout for the NX650. It should help the electrician if he is having to hang it back on the motorcycle.

honda-nx650-dominator-1993-spainmkh-wire-harness-ignition-coil_bigecy2n41f__2800_57ee.jpg
If he is charging you £300 for that, make sure he strips off all the old, gummy insulation tape and replaces it all with heatshrink sleeving and silicone tape to make it waterproof. It seems like a lot of money for a few cut, shorten/lengthen mods.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a scanned manual but (a) it's not in colour and (b) it's a bit tricky to see the actual colour symbols as it's poor quality. Having said that, Honda generally use a standard colour system.

PM me if you want the pages.

Wiring harnesses are actually dead easy to make and I find them quite therapeutic. £300 is a lot - allowing say £50 for parts that's a good 6 hours at £40 / hour.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up.
I attempted to do it myself but messed it up so I located another loom and gave it to him along with my bike.
I am paying for this cash in hand so it would be cheaper.
A bike building place in Copenhagen gave me a quote of £800 plus another £100 collection so I decided to use this bloke who was recomended by a mate but he is effing slow.
It might seem steep to you guys but I have to pay it because my knowledge of electrics would fit on a postage stamp and labour costs in some garages are about £100 per hour plus VAT.:D:D:D

·
Registered
742 Posts
XR650L is slightly different to the RD02, there is a black that comes out of the reg/rec that isn't present on the XR but the RD02 does have it.
Its common to the FR and R taillights and the dash.
I have the Factory 88-90 NX650 Manual so if you need some scans I can oblige but they aren't colour in the manual. just B/W I am afraid.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have given the guy the diagram from the XR650.
This guy claims to be a vehicle electrician but he has had the bike two weeks and hasnt done a thing yet.
Expecting me to understand the wiring diagram is like me asking you folks to speak fluent Danish after reading a book..:D:D:D
I just have to wait and pay him what he wants coz I dont have a clue with electrics.
If he cant suss it out then I will go get my bike back and use it as a living room ornament or sell it as is.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Do you still have the original loom?
If the auto electrician guy can't do it then he is not what he says he is.

Try taking the original one, hooking it all up the way you took it off.
Spark up the bike. It should work as it did. Then check which wires have to be shortened, cut to size and then crimp new fitting on (one by one). Plug it in, fire up again just to make sure, then wrap it in tape and Roberts your mother's brother. :toothy10::toothy10:
I fear no one will buy a none runner. Not even for half the money you have spent on it

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bike , spare loom and wiring diagram is in his workshop so its out of my hands ,I just hope I get it back before my new seat arrives then I can get jnr to make a start up video.
I will ride over to his workshop tomorrow to see how he is getting along.:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts