Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried sticking a Dommie Cam into a Vigor?
Does it make more power?
The Dommie is booked as more powerful but is it all at the top end or do you get more torque too?

·
Registered
742 Posts
How come you don't have an NX Bob? You seem to have plenty of SLR's.
You should try the original and the best;)
Can't help re the Cam sorry.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried buying a Dommie twice - both times it had a knackered cam and followers, so I've decided to stick to the newer stuff.
Also I prefer not to have plastic on the front of the bike, I dropped Vigor the 1st on the limestone way two weeks after buying it and smashed the little headlight fairing to bits!
Maybe the hotter Dommie cam isn't a good idea, certainly from my experience they don't last....

·
Registered
742 Posts
I don't know if you read the bit I posted about the oil pump.
Basically the old RD02 engine oil pump had an inferior oil pump, at a certain point the oil pump fails to deliver enough oil to keep the top end lubed.
Honda made at least 3 revisions to the pump over its lifetime and the current version as fitted to the XR650L (last RFVC) and RD08 dommies pumps 50% more oil than the early version.
Basically what happens is that a combination of factors causes accelerate head/valve train wear.
Old oil (Maybe not you but previous owners)
High speed
Oil pump body begins to leak at the seams!
The fix is to install a new version with a seal on the shaft, and use a metal sealant (hylomar etc) on the pump body.
Even though the later version body is thicker it still suffers from the same problem of leakage and its well worth sealing the pump.
The german forum that has done most of this stuff also recommends fitting a sightglass into the frame so you can see the oil level in the frame.
Apparently they have discovered that at certain points the oil level in the frame disappears into the engine, this is a symptom of the pump failing to pump oil to the head and the oil tank in the frame.

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
Maybe the hotter Dommie cam isn't a good idea, certainly from my experience they don't last....
Mine was fine at 55k miles. I think the problem with the dommie and other RFVC bikes is that they're oh so very easy to mistreat and run low on oil. So lots of them will be in various states of knackered if you buy them second hand, especially with higher miles.

It's the main thing keeping me from getting a cheap dommie on the side, they're all getting on a bit and no idea how they've been treated...

That said, I think most cams are basically compatible. Different characteristics ofcourse, but physically they should fit. Friend of mine had an XR cam in an XL engine for a while. Feisty thing, apparently. ;-) (Leaving aside fancy stuff like automatic decompressors and whatnot, no idea about them!)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That oil pump thing has put me right off now!
I'll stick with my RD09 engines I think, there is an awful lot going on in the top end of the engine - I like my engines to run quiet and to achieve that the tappets sometimes need tweaking after 1000 miles. I change the oil every 1000 miles too.
What I don't know is what the power delivery is like on a Dommie (both the ones I've had were fubar), if the extra horses and torque quoted for the Dommie only appear at 5 or 6K RPM then I'm not interested as I don't want to rev that high. Also I've seen several comments about Dommies cutting out at tickover, I'm wondering if that's due to the more aggressive cam too.

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
The cutting out thing is mostly that it seems to be quite lean at idle from the factory. On mine that mostly went away after fitting one size bigger idle jet and adjusting the mixture screw correctly.

The extra power, well, at most it'll be a horse or two I think? Not really the stuff of legends. ;-)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Mine popped and banged until I changed the Carb and did Daves mods.
Now it runs smooth and strong, with no stalling.
The RD09 engines aren't immune either, they just pump more oil.
You can fit the newer model oil pump into the older RD02 with a small bit of milling allegedly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I realise this is an old thread now but I put a dommie cam into a FX head, basically I bought the bike with a rattle and the first thing I found was the cam was knacked (run short of oil), I managed to get hold of a dommie head and checked the differences on the internet. The dommie openned its valves and closed them after the vigors by a degree or 2, so it would make it more powerful. It started fine and ran okay but I never took it out on the road, as it didn't cure the rattle and I ended up stripping it down again and eventually put another engine in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts