Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at reducing wiring on my Dommie project, does the carb heater need to be connected?

Also if I’m getting rid of side stand switch and clutch switch, and only using neutral switch for the led on dash, can I get rid of the diodes?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Will you be riding the bike for extended periods in cold/damp conditions?
My '99 RD08 doesn't have a carb heater, and I can't say I've ever missed having one.
But I only ride my bike when the weather is nice ;-)

Calling all Dommie experts, can anyone enlighten Scotty and me about carb heaters?
Under what circumstances would you need one?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I probably won’t be using it much in freezing temps.

You got me wondering now, I got wires coming from bottom of carb, so assumed it was a heater, the next job is to strip my carb, so i’ll Find out fit defo then

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
My RD08 never had the carb heater fitted from factory. used all year round with no problems i have ditched the CV carb now so not needed anyway. The one diode is taped up in the wiring harness if i remember right

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
This is a wiring diagram i hi lighted the side stand neutral switch and clutch switch wiring so i could follow it easier

pic_1_2_3.jpg

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Fred, I’m going to be getting rid of a lot of the wiring, as I have a motogadget m-unit and m-lock, so just trying to work out, if I can dump the diodes as well.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
If you dump the diodes you have to ground the CDI and the starter solenoid coil
The way it works is when the bike is in neutral the CDI and the starter solenoid coil gets its ground from the neutral switch via two diodes one for the CDI and one for the starter solenoid coil. when you put the bike into gear the neutral switch opens and you lose both grounds, when you raise the side stand you reconnect the CDI to ground via the side stand switch but the diode stops the starter solenoid coil from getting to ground you then have to pull in the clutch lever which then grounds the starter solenoid coil via the clutch switch and side stand switch

Ground = earth or negative just in case your not sure what i'm on about

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
See if you can follow this the arrows show electricity flowing to ground when the bike is in neutral, red arrows CDI and green arrows starter solenoid coil

Honda_dominator_wiring in neutral.jpg

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
And this one when the bike is in gear as you can see the diodes only let electricity flow in the direction of the arrow on the diode again red arrows CDI and green arrows starter solenoid coil. The main earth on the bike is at the ignition coil

Honda_dominator_wiring side stand.jpg

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Fred, so on the CDI i take the G/W wire to ground/earth, as well as wire labelled G which is the ground for CDI.

And on the starter relay, I take the G/R to ground?

Is this correct?

Would this allow me to start bike in gear and in neutral. I always pull clutch in anyway, habit after riding off road for years

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Yes to all but if you are rebuilding the bike i would get it running first on the standard wiring to make sure it all works before chopping things up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts