Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I replaced the cable choke with a plunger style choke and was wondering if there’s a way of telling if the choke is working correctly.

I started the bike for the first time this week end but didn’t need to use the choke, and it ticked over nicely for a few minutes.

As I still have a few jobs to do before I actually ride the bike, I was wondering if there’s an easy way to check that the choke is sealing correctly when pressed in (not in use)

·
Registered
209 Posts
When the bike is running the revs will pick up when the choke and pulled, I don't know if there is any better way to test though. Do you suspect that the choke is not sealing?

(The next bit of info is based on my personal understanding, I may well be talking shite.)
A conventional choke restricts the air flow into the carb hence the name choke. On a CV carb the choke opens a passage to allow more fuel into the carb bypassing the slow and main jet to increase the fuel in the mixture and in turn increases the revs.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it seemed to tick over nicely but wanted to try and confirm that it was sealing correctly as I modified a plunger choke to get it to fit

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
No it seemed to tick over nicely but wanted to try and confirm that it was sealing correctly as I modified a plunger choke to get it to fit
Only thing i can suggest is measure the depth of the hole the choke valve goes into and then measure how far the choke valve sticks out the mounting nut and make sure its sticks out further than it needs to be to ensure it seats. There was a measurement in the manual for it somewhere but cant remember if that was for the Africa Twin or the dominator

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Fred

that’s exactly what I done when I had the choke plunger modified slightly on a lathe to allow it to go further into the hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts