Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After scouring the internet for advice I'm still in the dark so........ Can anyone tell me the correct main and slow jet size for an 89 Dommie with a lazer pro duro and K&N?

Many thanks

Steve

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
Which produro?

There's a streetlegal (baffled) one and a loud straight-through one. With the former you can get away with not rejetting. The latter probably needs bigger jets but can't say by how much.

K&N as in replacement filter in the stock airbox, or a pod filter replacing the airbox? If the former then makes no difference, if the latter, who knows what jets you'll need. ;-)

I had an '89 Dommie with streetlegal produro and K&N filter in airbox. After lots of faffing about ended up with snorkel cut off, #50 slow and #152 main, which was ever so slightly lean at the top so the stock #155 (which I'd lost by then) would've been good too.

What do you have in there now, and how does it run?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's the street legal with the end baffle (mesh) removed. The K&N is in the stock air box and no idea what size jets are in at the moment. My plan is to replace them to try and cure the stalling problem. What do you think? The bike runs and pulls well although a little stutter at low revs...

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
I'm not talking about the mesh screen in the endpipe. Is there another baffle in there?

Stalling went away for me with a 50 idle jet. (One up from 48 stock.) I take it you've already tried to adjust the mixture screw?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it still has the main baffle in. No I havent tried the mixture screw as the plan was to just replace them before the trip. Also had fuel coming out the carb overflow last week, although it seems to have rectified itself now.
So 50 slow should sort the stalling issue?

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
Did for me, but you really might want to try the mixture screw first, it's what it's there for.

It's a petrol screw, so further out is richer mixture.

Best way to do it is to have the bike well warmed up, let it idle and turn that screw out until you get the highest idle rpm. If rpms starts to drop again you're too rich so go back a 1/2 turn or so, but if my bike is an indication the mixture screw will fall out before you reach that point. Hence the #50 in my case. :D

They run a bit lean on idle from the factory, mine especially did because it was a US model. Making it a bit richer will reduce the stalling and might even fix that low rev stutter (depending on how low rev).

Putting the #50 in probably won't hurt (and you'll have to adjust the mixture screw then anyway!) though if it's not needed, it saves buying another pricey Honda part. ;-)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The mixture screw worked for me but then I fitted a K&N filter and the noisy Pro Duo, but the size 50 slow jet sorted them out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks for your help and advice, I appreciate it. Think I'll try the mixture screw and see what effect it has.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Asbestos hands the size of a Barbie doll would be ideal by the look of it! I'm sure I have something in my tool box to fit it. If not, are there any tools specific to this job?

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
Probably some Honda special tool made of unobtanium, but bodges include a screw bit in a small spanner, or possibly a bit of rubber hose stuck on top and twisting by hand if it's loose enough. Experiment. ;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts