Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost finished my Dommie Stealth Tracker project. Just the fairings to paint now.. She'll have to go straight up for sale though :/

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shame you're gonna have to sell her when she's finished.
Have you decided on an asking price yet?
I'm a start up business so it was always inevitable.

I've seen much shabbier and less usuable ones for £4000-£5000 even. And mine is almost a nut and bolt rebuild with new shock. Bearings, tank etc.

I'm going to look for around £2900. I need to move it on quickly to pay bills so I can keep the workshop open.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Loom modifications are needed... Nothing too drastic though but requires a bit of confidence. I put everything under the tank but you do need to chop and solder to make it a proper job.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I put everything under the tank but you do need to chop and solder to make it a proper job.
I would love to do another one but I am totally useless with electrics , I am going to use a different bike for my next project and do a cafe racer..
There is a lot of crap for sale out there for silly money but quality craftsmanship like yours and mine should fetch a good price.
I have already been asked twice do I want to sell mine.
Hope you get your asking price and do another one.:thumbup:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Its interesting how many different faces the dommie can have.

Its a shame to be selling her though, isn't there something of your wifes/girlfriends that you could sell instead?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Excuse the crappy phone picture and chaotic workshop ;)

I've hand painted one side. It looks okay. It's never going to be 100% factory without an expensive paint job. And that's not what this bike is about.

Opinions ? I'm considering making some mesh or aluminum panels made up. Quite a lot of work though.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its interesting how many different faces the dommie can have.

Its a shame to be selling her though, isn't there something of your wifes/girlfriends that you could sell instead?
I stole the girlfriends liver to pay for the build ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I shouldn't be posting as I'm sat in a crap pub selling crap expensive beer ....
I think you've done what I dread doing, took a good bike and massacred it, it looks like a dommie with sprayed wheels, acerbis tank and a headlight that's wrong size and position. Apologies for being pissed frank but being in the same boat, projecting, I'm struggling to do the right thing myself, I hope someone buys it so the misses forgives you. :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I shouldn't be posting as I'm sat in a crap pub selling crap expensive beer ....
I think you've done what I dread doing, took a good bike and massacred it, it looks like a dommie with sprayed wheels, acerbis tank and a headlight that's wrong size and position. Apologies for being pissed frank but being in the same boat, projecting, I'm struggling to do the right thing myself, I hope someone buys it so the misses forgives you. :)
Ahhh. Spoken like a man who spends more time in his pub than his workshop.

You've clearly missed the whole point. But thank you for the criticism. I shall take it constructively.

It's much more than a dommie with an Acerbis tank and painted wheels. But it takes someone who understands a little better to appreciate that.

Good luck with yours. I can't wait to see what you do with it. 'Nothing original' springs to mind.

What should I have done ? Fit a CG125 tank, a 10" headlight and a flat seat ?? It's been done to death mate.

Cheers, Ted

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought I'd just post up a list of the work done on this Dommie. I don't want folk thinking I just put an Acerbis tank on an old dommie and sprayed the wheels.

The original bike was a 1996 with 45,000 miles on. Very well maintained but very scruffy indeed. It was rusted and rotten and doing itself no favours. Here is what I did.

Stripped the whole bike back to its frame and then had the frame Shot blasted and powder coated in gloss black.
All bearings in the frame were cleaned, re-greased or replaced.
The engine was stripped down and rebuilt after shot-blasting and enamel painting. Honed bore with new piston rings. New cam chain and tensioner. All engine bolts are stainless.
Rear shock replaced with £300 Adjustable JSS. Front forks stiffened to match with pre-load shims.
Wheels shot-blasted and painstakingly painted. Then fitted with new bearings. These wheels won't corrode now. New Mefo tyres fitted.
Brake callipers shot-blasted, enamel painted and rebuilt with new seals and pads.
Swing-arm and forks shot-blasted and enamel painted. Again, no more corrosion and looks like new.
Crappy front light and 80's style cockpit removed and made simple and effective. You love it or hate it !!
Renthal Enduro bars with new grips, clocks and dashboard fitted.
Carb sonic cleaned and re-jetted. All screws replaced. Carbon filter removed.
New chain and sprocket
Pretty much every component has been cleaned, serviced, re-painted, polished and refurbished.
Rear rack custom made to suit NX650. Bespoke fabrication.
Oh yeah.. And I fitted a £250 Acerbis tank extending tank range to 240 miles.

And also I am a time served, highly trained and qualified Motorcycle Engineer/Technician. Not a back shed bodge shop. My bikes are restored methodically and correctly and all pass an MOT with no advisories.

If you can't see the work in it (around 300 hours), then it's not the bike for you. Just go out and buy a new one. Oh !! You can't :D

Cheers, Ted

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Not exactly the best way to get a project finished is it?
My project took me 3 yrs to build because I am living off disability pension and a fixed income.
I had to give up drinking crap beer in pubs so I could afford the expensive parts to make my bike the way it looks.
I am looking forward to see how your project turns out if you can drag yourself away from the pub.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I thought I'd just post up a list of the work done on this Dommie. I don't want folk thinking I just put an Acerbis tank on an old dommie and sprayed the wheels.

The original bike was a 1996 with 45,000 miles on. Very well maintained but very scruffy indeed. It was rusted and rotten and doing itself no favours. Here is what I did.

Stripped the whole bike back to its frame and then had the frame Shot blasted and powder coated in gloss black.
All bearings in the frame were cleaned, re-greased or replaced.
The engine was stripped down and rebuilt after shot-blasting and enamel painting. Honed bore with new piston rings. New cam chain and tensioner. All engine bolts are stainless.
Rear shock replaced with £300 Adjustable JSS. Front forks stiffened to match with pre-load shims.
Wheels shot-blasted and painstakingly painted. Then fitted with new bearings. These wheels won't corrode now. New Mefo tyres fitted.
Brake callipers shot-blasted, enamel painted and rebuilt with new seals and pads.
Swing-arm and forks shot-blasted and enamel painted. Again, no more corrosion and looks like new.
Crappy front light and 80's style cockpit removed and made simple and effective. You love it or hate it !!
Renthal Enduro bars with new grips, clocks and dashboard fitted.
Carb sonic cleaned and re-jetted. All screws replaced. Carbon filter removed.
New chain and sprocket
Pretty much every component has been cleaned, serviced, re-painted, polished and refurbished.
Rear rack custom made to suit NX650. Bespoke fabrication.
Oh yeah.. And I fitted a £250 Acerbis tank extending tank range to 240 miles.

And also I am a time served, highly trained and qualified Motorcycle Engineer/Technician. Not a back shed bodge shop. My bikes are restored methodically and correctly and all pass an MOT with no advisories.

If you can't see the work in it (around 300 hours), then it's not the bike for you. Just go out and buy a new one. Oh !! You can't :D

Cheers, Ted
Oi Ted i resemble that remark LOL Unfortunately Ted not everyone's tastes are the same. I built my Dommi to do what i want and really don't care what others think i'm happy with what i done :thumbup:

Reactions: Mototed

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
You can't see what's gone into a rebuild only you know that. Yes it looks like a domi with an acerbis tank and round head light but if that's what you wanted then it's perfect. In a time that everyone seems to want to do another bloody flat tracker, I think this is quite welcome.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can't see what's gone into a rebuild only you know that. Yes it looks like a domi with an acerbis tank and round head light but if that's what you wanted then it's perfect. In a time that everyone seems to want to do another bloody flat tracker, I think this is quite welcome.
Exactly !! I guarantee this bike is one of a kind. It was built as a tracker than can be used daily. One that you can put luggage on, fuel up and go away for the weekend.. The suspension is massively improved also. It's also reliable, tuned perfectly and doesn't give you tinnitus.

Most of these Dommie trackers look nice in pictures but are unreliable dogs to ride. Seats like planks, riding positions that hurt your wrists and made by people who don't care if things drop of on the motorway. And once they're built, the MOT is your problem !!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Exactly !! I guarantee this bike is one of a kind. It was built as a tracker than can be used daily. One that you can put luggage on, fuel up and go away for the weekend.. The suspension is massively improved also. It's also reliable, tuned perfectly and doesn't give you tinnitus.

Most of these Dommie trackers look nice in pictures but are unreliable dogs to ride. Seats like planks, riding positions that hurt your wrists and made by people who don't care if things drop of on the motorway. And once they're built, the MOT is your problem !!
I agree with you Mototed , my project started off going to be a tracker but I didnt want to go the same way as everybody else and thats why I went a bit retro and used a different tank.
I love my bike and I built it for me or my son to ride and if nobody likes it ,my world aint gonna come crumbling down.
I just swapped a perfectly good NTV 650 for a rattly old CX500, after a few new parts and a rattle can paint job I think its cool and if nobody else does ,it dont matter coz my son thinks its cool and he is the only one who,s opinion I give a rats arse about..Other opinions are welcome but if some one told me I had massacred a bike I would tell him where to get off.
Heres a pic of the rattly CX 500 I just did.

13235921_1399814300034583_1674505707_n.jpg

1 - 20 of 28 Posts