Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a very nice dommie and I love it but occasionally I'll pull off the road and do a few green lanes and the worry of dropping her is always with me . Yes I could remove the plastic etc but keep thinking about getting something else that's similar but a bit more crash resistant . Don't want to break the bank and have considered XR's etc but do like the leccy start and comfort of the NX . have also considered a TTR600 but I keep wondering about the plain old XT600e . What do people think ..is it a similar ride to the NX ? Is it as tough and reliable ? Any others I should consider (the simpler the better!ie preferably air cooled single) Someone may suggest DRZ400 but they I bit small for a big bloke like me and not comfy afaik ( also water cooled )
thanks in advance
Bill

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Got to be honest the XT600 always appealed to me to I do rekon looking at then theres loads of kg's that can be removed to make them a really good big thumper for trails

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I love the NX650's,had 'em in the eighties and I have got two even now. As I have long been a Dommie man............my mate has been an XT man. I've always thought the XT was really chop able but I never got to have one. His current bike is as of this week on 135000miles trouble free(photo)so there is no questions there :) .I'm forever fiddlin' with my carbs ! :( The other route is buy everything you could smash from david silvers as a backup and just ride the NX :thumbup:

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Got to be honest the XT600 always appealed to me to I do rekon looking at then theres loads of kg's that can be removed to make them a really good big thumper for trails
Funny thing about the weight. An XT600E isn't much lighter than an RD02 complete with fairing. Dry weight is always a bit tricky, but I've had mine on the scales and it came to 169 kg with a full 21l acerbis tank ready to go. XT600E dry weight is supposed to be 156 kg, so there's not that much in it. Both can be stripped but I dare say the dommie has more to lose on a diet given those twin pig-iron exhausts and that whole fairing. ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a B reg XT600 that's a 1984. Its kick start only which I suppose makes it a bit lighter, but more embarrassing if you stall it at the lights. Its got a nicer carb than later models and the rear swing arm is alloy rather than steel painted to look like alloy. My mates got a later one and spent time sourcing compontents he thought were nicer on mine he thinks the accountants got at the later models but he has more than 100K on his so there is no doubting the toughness. His wife has a XT350 which is much more manageable off road. I like the bike but have to get rid now I have bought a SLR as I only have enough spare cash, time and room for one toy at a time. Some of the later MZ's used the engine out of the XT660 they had some quality kit as standard but were a bit on the lardy side, I liked the looks but many others didn't.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Ah yes, the 2KF model which is said to be the best of the XT600 line. I nearly bought one way back when but I got the NX instead. The electric boot was definitely a feature. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I loved the look of the MZ but when I was considering one way back.Burwins motorcycles (who are also friends) told me they were a b*tch to get spares for. They've been MZ for maybe 35yrs (racing too).So I've only ever admired the bike since as a looker ! :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also ..I know the E has steel rims . Is the only advantage of alloy wheels the weight reduction and reduced corrosion?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi bill hows tricks?

Had a low mileage xt600e back last year and have to say i was quite impressed with it, very smooth engine and plenty of go too. Never took it off road but the lack of plastic up front did make it feel like it could be less of a handful than the dommie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe the answer is that the alloy wheeled, alloy swing armed, adjustable rear suspension with separate reservoir bikes like mine are the best:). Except I had to stiffen up the front suspension for road use, there is no electric foot, the front break isn't great for road use and it is knocking 30 years old:(. If I keep the XT I will probably supermoto it as it is just the right age in the UK where any modifications do not need to be CE marked and exhausts don't have to be marked either. If I was doing a lot of off road and wanting something more modern I would seriously think about the little suzuki. If you really need the extra 300cc then I would guess a later dominator would be at least as good as a later XT its probably a pub argument that can never be solved. Be careful buying old XTs they will often still sound and run quite nicely when they have been round the clock. The older XTs also seem to be getting bitten by the classic bug which pushes up the price to a level where lots of other maybe more practical stuff lives. Even without anything breaking picking up a dropped 600 from a bog quickly loses its appeal. On the other hand the XT is a pretty bike;).

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd love to ride one to compare to the NX perhaps if anyone is near exeter we could swop bikes for a short run?
Good to hear from you again Andrew ..thought you were off to other places/projects ? ( well ..suppose with net access everywhere you could be anywhere ). Out of interest how did you think the bike rode compared to the NX ( power/handling /braking etc)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi bill, just got back from japan and already have started another project (can't help it!)
Like i said earlier i was impressed with the power and the way it was delivered, very smooth and responsive with minimal vibration.

Having said all that i just couldn't own anything other than a honda:)

Have you thought about maybe converting yours with a different tank seat etc from say an xr600 0r 650l?

·
Registered
84 Posts
look guys,i dont think the dommie is ever going to be a greenlane beauty but if you just take your time and enjoy what it does well then you are going to have a great day out.yeh a bit heavy and lumpy but tons of grunt and torque and it is quite a forgiving bike if you have the right tyres and fork setup you will conquer your mates who think it is all about speed but you will look gracefull in your attempts cause you know the amount of cash it will cost you to fix it..........there are no pockets in shrouds,get out,have fun and if it goes tits up,whats the worst that can happen,,,,,,,,it costs you a few quid:p:);)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts